South Route across Passo Bocca di Massa

South Route across Passo Bocca di Massa

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 44.23083°N / 10.42532°E
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Hike
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Monte CellaMonte Cella from Costa i Roncacci

The south route to Monte Prado, which passes to the east of Monte Cella and Monte Vecchio, is a long hiking route along the highest ridge of Toscana (Tuscany). It follows the main ridge of the Appennino and thus the border between Toscana and Emilia Romagna. The first part of the route traverses a dense and dark forest with little to see but above 1700m, when you reach the little Rifugio Cella, you pass the timberline.

There are two possible ways to reach Passo Bocca di Massa, one starting at Passo delle Forbici and one at the small hamlet (ski area) of Casone di Profecchia. The hike (ski tour) from the latter trailhead is described here.

Getting There

The Casone di Profecchia are located a few km to the west of Passo delle Radici on SS324. The main page describes the itineraries.

Route Description

Monte CellaOn the east ridge of Monte Cella

  • General:
      - Start altitude: 1314m
      - Summit altitude: 1942m
      - Prevailing exposure: South and West
      - Type: Easy, steep grass ascent to Monte Cella
      - Protection: None
  • Effort: 700m
  • Power: 1 - Easy
  • Psyche: 1 - Easy
  • Difficulty: 1 - Hike, steep at Monte Cella
  • Orientation: 1 - Marked and easy, the summit of Monte Cella is to the west of the hiking path

    Rifugio Cella
    Monte Vecchio and Monte Cella

    From the parking lot at Casone di Profecchia cross the road and head for a small staircase to the left of the restaurant. It leads to a small ski lift. At the lift turn right into the dense fir forest and follow the signs, which lead steeply up the slope. The path touches upon the higher outskirts of the hamlet before switching back and forth towards a first ridge. You will find a dirt road which you have to follow to the north. The hiking trail cuts short several of the bends of the road before finally joining it just short of Rifugio Cella, a small hut located on the Costa i Roncacci Ridge.
    Monte Cella
    Monte Cella

    At the rifugio turn right and head up the pasture until you attain Costa i Roncacci. Pass to the far side of the ridge (huge cairn!) and follow the pass to Passo Bocca di Massa. Here the route from Passo delle Forbici joins from the right. Turn left (signs to Monte Prado) upon a clearly marked path. After a few hundred metres leave the path and head up the east slope of Monte Cella instead. The slope is steep but can be climbed without further problem.
    Monte Vecchio
    Monte Vecchio

    Descend the north ridge of Monte Cella, which soon joins the regular trail for Monte Prado again. Follow the trail to the base of Monte Vecchio, where the same ritual starts. The trail passes the mountain on its eastern side. Leave the trail and follow the south-east ridge of Monte Vecchio instead. It is longer and steeper than the east ridge of Monte Cella and even a bit exposed in its topmost part.
    Monte Prado
    Monte Prado

    Again descend by the north ridge. This ridge also is much longer than the Monte Cella north ridge. Its topmost part is narrow but it soon turns wide and heads for a wide saddle at the base of Monte Prado. A bit before the saddle the hiking trail joins again and together they climb the south ridge of the mountain. The path winds its way along the ridge to a first summit, then crosses the wide summit plateau to the main summit on the far northern side.

    In winter the route is often done as a ski tour.

    Essential Gear

    Hiking gear - in winter ski tour gear.

  • Parents 

    Parents

    Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.