South Slopes from Heart Lake

South Slopes from Heart Lake

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 39.87865°N / 105.69946°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking, Skiing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

This is probably the easiest route from the east side on Heartbeat Peak and makes a good descent route from other, harder ascents. Start from the East Portal trailhead and hike 4 miles on the well-trodden South Boulder Creek trail to Heart Lake at 11,300'.



Heartbeat Peak (left) catches the last rays of the sun over the frozen Heart Lake from the Rogers Pass trail.

Route Description

From Heart Lake, skirt the south (left) side of the lake. Follow the Rogers Pass trail as it switchbacks up a steep promontory between the two lakes (Heart and Rogers Pass Lakes, that is). After a steep half mile, gain the flat area of Rogers Pass at 11,850'. Turn right (north) and hike for one mile along the Divide to the summit of Heartbeat Peak. Total distance is about 5.5 miles each way.


Heartbeat Peak from near Rogers Pass in the winter.

Essential Gear

In summer, standard dayhiking gear is all you'll need for this long but pleasent jaunt above treeline. Be aware of sudden thunderstorms.

Winter conditions vary dramatically. The climb up the promontory above Heart Lake is quite steep and the trail tends to disappear under windloaded snow. Avalanche danger is possible. Crampons may be helpful for secure footing.

Miscellaneous Info

If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.