South Slopes

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 39.65880°N / 105.8005°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Steep Walk up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Start from the Steven's Gulch Trailhead where everyone climbing Grays and Torreys starts off. Climb on the Gray Peak trail for the first mile under Kelso's South Slopes. There is a wide steep gully directly above you on your right.

Route Description


Leave the trail and traverse the meadow as it climbs into the gully. Ascend the steep gully as it climbs towards Kelso Ridge. The slopes slowly become gentler as you climb closer to the ridge. Continue walking northeast across gentle grassy slopes to the final summit cairn.

This hike is not on a trail after leaving the Grays Peak, and crosses fields of delicate plant life. To minimize the impact on these fragile plants proper leave no trace ethics and wilderness principles must be followed. Never walk in a straight line following in the exact footsteps of the person ahead of you but rather fan out so that you are not continuously trampling the same plants. Also, try to minimize impact by stepping on rocks and bare dirt spots rather than on the plants themselves.

Essential Gear


An ice ax maybe useful off season since the slope is fairly steep. Otherwise strudy hiking boots are all that is needed.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.