South Split Mountain from the...

South Split Mountain from the...

South Split Mountain from the west.
Scott
on Apr 4, 2005 6:19 pm
Image ID: 98689

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-2 of 2

Sagebrush - Jan 24, 2006 3:56 pm - Hasn't voted

Sagebrush

Did you go into those box canyons? I have been in one of them. Unfortunately, I don't remember precisely which one. It was definitely not the big one on the right in your photo, and it also was not the one closest to the river.

In order to gain access, I scrambled about 75 feet up some on fairly loose rock in order to bypass a mostly dry fall at the base of the canyon. This was not dangerous as it wasn't extremely steep, plus there were alot of small pinyon pines or junipers to hold onto.

Once inside, the canyon really opened up into a spectacular cathedral of rock, and the bottom was fairly flat and had alot of grasses, shrubs, and even several very large ponderosa pines! The flat portion of the canyon ends after about 200 yards, which is where I stopped.

Scott

Scott - Jan 25, 2006 1:45 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Sagebrush

I visited most of them, but since the Chew Ranch is in the way, I came from the Hog area. I just took a quick peak at them, and the surrounding slopes, looking for a possible route to the highest point of "South Split Mountain". I never could find a non-technical route up to the higher parts of the mountain, adn the technical routes look extremely difficult,and the rock is not good.



After much reaseach, I couldn't find any tecnical climbs that have been done on the upper parts of the mountain, but some have been done on some spires lower down. Wild place.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2