Southeast Drainage

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 38.86130°N / 105.637°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Approaching the summit bouldersApproaching the summit boulders

This is a short route to the summit of this nice, lower peak. The route starts by gaining very little elevation then rapidly gains elevation on grassy slopes to the rocky summit area. Visibility is good and the navigation is very straightforward.

Roundtrip Distance: 1.5 miles
Elevation Gain: 550 feet
YDS Rating: Class 2

Getting There

Threemile Mountain from meadowThreemile Mountain from meadow
On the southeast slopes, looking at summitOn the southeast slopes, looking at summit


From Hartsel, Colorado, near the intersection of US Hwy 24 and CO Hwy 9

• Follow CO Hwy 9 south for approximately 15 miles.
• Turn left / northeast on Park County Road 116.
• Follow CO Rd 116 about 1 mile northeast to the turnoff for Forest Service Road 270.
• Turn right on FS 270 and park.

Route Description

Southeast Drainage Route Map


• From your parking area on the east side of CO Rd 166, carefully cross CO Rd 166 and head northwest across a pasture for less than ½ mile toward the base of the southeast slope of Threemile Mountain.
• Enter the southeast facing drainage and begin your ascent. The going becomes quite steep as the route begins to curl toward the summit, but the footing on prairie grasses is solid.
• Reach the high saddle between summits and turn sharply east toward the true summit.
• The highpoint is marked by a summit cairn and, at the time of my visit, a simple summit register is contained in a jar.
• Enjoy the views from the summit of nearby mid-elevation mountains along with high-country in the distance before retracing your steps back to your vehicle.

Essential Gear

• WINTER - Flotation (snowshoes would be ideal given that much of the route travels steep, densely-timbered slopes).
• Trail Map (Either the USGS Castle Rock Gulch quad or a custom map will be necessary)
• Colorado Gazetteer or similar roadmap illustrating minor/dirt roads.
• Compass or GPS
• Water and snacks
• WINTER - Insulated, water-proof boots
• First aid kit
• Camera


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.