Southeast Face

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 21.00430°N / 156.54829°W
Additional Information Route Type: Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: Class 3
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

From the parking lot, descend the obvious use trail to the coves to the right (west), then take the obvious use trail that leads up the the south face. The south face is what you see from the parking lot and you will never loose sight of it. The base of the climb is no more that 100 yards from the parking lot.

Route Description

As far as I could see, this was the easiest line up the formation which involved only 380 feet of climbing, mostly on vocanic rock. Climb the obvious slot that goes up, climber's right, from the center of the base. Many class 3 moves will get you to where you can climb up and to the left, out of the drainage. Climb exposed rock to the top of the face. When you are above the face, you will be in knee high brush with 130 ft more to to go. The goal now is to avoid thrashing though seven foot tall grasses that house purple spiders the size of a small hand; climb up and to the right though short brush to the edge of the cliff on the east side where a use trail is gained; this will lead to the summit.  This climb took me 20 minutes in the rain; others have stated that it takes much less than that in good conditions.

Essential Gear

The holds are good, no pro is necessary. I would recommend a pair of gaitors or long pants as the bushes will scratch your legs really bad.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.