Southwest Ridge (Soleus Ridge)

Southwest Ridge (Soleus Ridge)

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 40.67080°N / 111.683°W
Additional Information Route Type: Snowshoe or hike with minor scrambling
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 2
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

This ridge is a direct no-nonsense approach for a climb of Gobblers Knob, accessed most easily from the Butler Fork trail which begins in Big Cottonwood Canyon. The ridge is situated on the south aspect of the mountain, and provides a good approach for winter ascents by eliminating the need for a longer traverse west to reach Baker Pass and the west ridge, which is a common summer ascent route.

While the approach to the ridge and the route up it are simple, it is an interesting ridge for a snowclimb due to the intensity of the slope; the ridge climbs ±1,000 ft. at a fairly continuous 30° angle and around 40° at its steepest, making for a good workout for the calves.

The value of this ridge is limited to winter or early spring ascents when vegetation will be buried under snow; dry season ascents would involve some unpleasant bushwhacking to reach the ridge.


Stats

One-Way Hiking Distance: 2.5 miles
Trailhead Elevation: 7,120 ft.
Summit Elevation: 10,246 ft.
Elevation Gain: 3,126 ft.
Average Gain per Mile: 1,250 ft.

Route Description

This route is reached by first following the Butler Fork approach. Follow the directions in the Buter Fork route until reaching the top of the switchbacks at elevation ±8,605. This is a saddle between Gobblers Knob on the north and minor summit Circle-All Peak on the south.

From the saddle head north approximately 100 yards, then begin a gradual traverse for approximately 0.25 miles to the northwest. There will typically be snowshoe and/or ski tracks along this section.

Soleus Ridge is the first prominent ridge to the west of the Gobblers/Circle-All saddle. Head up the prominent wash to the right (east) of the ridge, then veer steeply up and left until you reach the ridge.

Follow the ridge as it climbs steeply until it joins with the next major ridge to the east (South Ridge Right) at ± 9,900 ft. Here the view opens up into the huge bowl to the south of the summit.

Proceed along the ridge as it climbs gradually to the false west summit of Gobblers Knob, then turn right (east) for the easy ±0.2 mile ridge walk to the true summit.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.