Southwest Ridge

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 35.54480°N / 107.0942°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike/Scramble
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Follow the directions on the main page.

Route Description


From the road walk straight towards the peak. Walk up any ridge from the desert floor up onto the balcony below the hard rock buttress. Cacti are abundant the entire way up and should be watched for because of their expansive variety in size and camouflage, which conceal them until you feel the pain of their needles. On top of the eroded earth below the tower of rock, a barbed wire fence must be crossed to get to the ridge. Veer to the right (southwest) below the rock formation. After a scree slope or two the end of the ridge will be directly above you. Once Mesa Prieta is visible, the ridge should be below your feet. Ascend the backbone of the ridge for several dozen feet then descend several feet to the left (northwest) to find the easisest route up an eroded shoot through the rocks and cacti. Above the shoot, it is just bouldering-hopping fun to the summit on top of the ridge.

Essential Gear


Basic hiking gear should suffice. Water is essential. Gloves and pants should be considered for all times during the year because of cacti and rattlesnakes.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.