Spider Rock in Canyon de Chelly

Spider Rock in Canyon de Chelly

Spider Rock in Canyon de Chelly (pronounced "shay"). Another great monolith, but not available for climbing. For those who may have seen the movie Mackenna's Gold, this spectacular rock is the one that cast the shadow to the legendary, hidden gold. Our Navajo guide told us that the rock on the left of the image is called Space Rock, though I can find no other confirmation of that. Imaged in March 2012.

Mark Doiron
on Apr 9, 2012 6:41 am
Image Type(s): Scenery
Image ID: 784625

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-4 of 4
BigRob

BigRob - Apr 9, 2012 3:54 pm - Voted 10/10

Nice

I lived out in Chinle for 5 years working at the Hospital. There is a set of ruins that is nearby and outside of the park called 3 Turkeys which was also in Mackenn's Gold. Pretty cool place.

Mark Doiron

Mark Doiron - Apr 9, 2012 7:54 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Nice

Thanks for the comment. It is, indeed, a beautiful place--you must have really enjoyed some of that during your stay. --mark d.

movielocationtraveler - Jun 25, 2015 3:09 am - Hasn't voted

MacKenna's Gold

That image makes me want to wait until sunrise and follow the shadow to the gold Canyon. I love the movie Mackenna's Gold and have wondered where that rock was or if it was really a rock formation.

Mark Doiron

Mark Doiron - Jun 25, 2015 3:54 am - Hasn't voted

Re: MacKenna's Gold

Yep, it's the real deal. In order to get down into this area you must hire a Navajo guide. It is a spectacular canyon, definitely worth a visit. Thanks for checking out my picture and commenting!

--mark d.

Viewing: 1-4 of 4