St. Piran Scramble

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 51.41230°N / 116.2528°W
Additional Information Route Type: Scrambling
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Easy
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

This is a 2800’+/- ascent day. Take the Lakeshore trail past the Chateau to the Lake Agnes trail that splits off to the right.

Route Description

Hike 3.3 km past Mirror Lake and take a right on the Little Beehive trail. Then shortly take a left onto the St. Piran trail prior to arriving at the Little Beehive. This single track winds its way up to the summit. The crux? Don’t get trampled by tourists on the way up Lake Agnes trail.

Dow’s version: I obviously chose a unique route. This is a hike really, so I used it as a multi task day. I took several family members to Louise Falls to rock climb easy 5.6's. When they were ready from some refreshment at the Plains of the Six Glaciers Teahouse, I took off up from the Louise Falls climbing area and bushwhacked my way 1000’ straight up and over a couple of small rock bands and topped out onto the Highline trail below Big Beehive. I then proceeded northeast past the bewildered guests at the Lake Agnes Tea house and onto Little Beehive trail. I left the marked trail as soon as I saw the east face of St. Piran and made a true scramble ascent versus utilizing the trail. In retrospect, I normally am very respectful of existing trails, but had no beta with me at the time and did not realize a trail took you to the summit. I did notice that the Pikas on this route were friendlier than most, leading me to believe I was not the only person making tracks up the east face.

Essential Gear

Normal hiking paraphernalia.

Shell pants and gaitors recommended for early season to take advantage of glissading down the excellent snow gulleys!


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.