Standard South Route

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 48.11000°N / 120.642°W
Additional Information Route Type: Scramble
Additional Information Time Required: One to two days
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 2-3
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


See Main Page for descriptions on how to get to the trail camp in the meadow 0.7 miles southeast of the summit. Three of these approaches come in via the North Fork Entiat River drainage.

The other approach to this route is via the Snow Brushy Creek Trail (see Main Page description).

Route Description


From the trail camp at 6,700 ft in the meadow 0.8 miles southeast of the summit, hike the trail northward until it turns sharply left at a small boggy meadow at ~6,900 ft. Continue southwest on the trail as it contours around Saska's south shoulder. At about 0.25 miles from the sharp corner when the trail rounds a small rib, leave the trail and begin climbing toward the summit. Most of the terrain is easily negotiated and not terribly steep. Minor rock bands and gullies will force some routefinding but it will be nothing to be concerned about.

Warning: DO NOT descend the East Face if wanting to traverse over to Emerald Peak. The face soon tips over into cliffs unseen from the summit (take care to note this while on the approach where the trail turns sharply left at 6,700 ft). A descent of the East Face is dangerous and will not save you any time compared to going back via the south shoulder and trail. See this image.

Essential Gear


Outdoor clothing in case of bad weather.
No technical gear needed. Helmet optional.
Ice axe if early season or mid-season. There may be snow but by late season this should be all but gone.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.