Steep Scree on N side Tummy

Steep Scree on N side Tummy

After one leaves the Tummy and cuts N, one then winds E through very steep cliffs and Talus on the N side of Mummy's Tummy. (There are numerous people in this picture, visible on the following close-up.)
MoapaPk
on Jul 12, 2006 2:26 am
Image ID: 207014

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-7 of 7
jdmorehouse

jdmorehouse - Jun 22, 2014 4:50 pm - Hasn't voted

Parts

I've called the feature to the left of the chute Mummy's Carbuncle. It doesn't get many visitors, but has some fine bristlecones up there.

MoapaPk

MoapaPk - Jun 23, 2014 9:44 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Parts

Odd -- we used to refer to Mummy's Carbuncle and Mummy's Spleen, but non-specifically, just to kid folks who asked where we were going.

I usually drop straight down here to avoid the worst talus.

philadendron

philadendron - Oct 29, 2014 5:49 pm - Hasn't voted

So close

How frustrating, this photo depicts the part of the route that I totally couldn't find on my attempt last Saturday. I climbed that chute, over the pour-over, and looked in the direction of where the photographer would be standing. My exact thought was, "Well, I know I'm supposed to go this way, but I don't see a cairn and it looks like I'd get cliffed out". I retreated, thinking I was in the wrong chute.

I even climbed the rest of the way up the chute to check out the dramatic dropoff. When I got home, I checked some sources, and sure enough, I was right where I needed to be. So close!

MoapaPk

MoapaPk - Oct 29, 2014 6:28 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: So close

There are ways from that point, neither has reliable cairns. I was in that chute last Sunday.

MoapaPk

MoapaPk - Oct 29, 2014 7:18 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: So close

When I get back in town, I can send more detailed directions. If you look at subsequent photo, you see people descending the chute. The right part of the dtted blue line takes one to pretty benign territory with a use trail.humans

philadendron

philadendron - Oct 30, 2014 11:54 am - Hasn't voted

Re: So close

Shortly after the right part of the blue line, you hang a left through the last chute towards the summit, right?

MoapaPk

MoapaPk - Oct 30, 2014 10:08 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: So close

Correct

Viewing: 1-7 of 7