Viewing: 1-5 of 5
nartreb

nartreb - Jun 17, 2006 3:13 pm - Voted 8/10

nice

Great job finding viewpoints from which to photograph the mountain (looks like it took you several months too).

The USGS GNIS lists this peak as "Sterling Mountain" (For example, see what happens when you click on the "topozone map" link), with "whiteface" noted as a variant. You should give some discussion of the two names, and probably list both in the title of the page.

Also, you might want to expand the "getting there" section or add a section on "trails". I had to read your text very closely to grok that in addition to the LT and the summit spur, there's a trail called the Whiteface trail. Where does that one start and end? What about other trails? On Topozone I see about five branchings not counting downhill ski trails.

big_g

big_g - Jun 19, 2006 1:54 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: nice

Imagine my surprise in finding that out. I had only seen it called Whiteface. So it does need something about that in the description and a name change. I have to find out the history, if any, there. Thanks for pointing that out. desainme PM'd me something similar.

Regarding the other trails, I was a little confused at first. I was asking myself, "What other trails? Ski trails, huh?" Only the LT goes up to the top - effectively 2 trails. So that is all that is mentioned. But now I see what you are saying about the proximity of other routes that could be linked to the LT and the ski runs over on Madonna Peak. The Whiteface trail just runs to the Whiteface shelter thus I don't really discuss it.

I think the page would be improved if I put in more info about other trailheads. Honestly I don't like the idea of anything more than a brief mention of some other linkable trails on the main mountain page. I'd argue that someone who has done the hike should submit a route page as I will do for the LT north and south.

I guess that I have my homework for tonight.

nartreb

nartreb - Jun 19, 2006 2:59 pm - Voted 8/10

Re: nice

Yep, just a quick mention is all you need, don't try to do a full Route for routes you haven't been on, and anyway if the route is "follow the trail with the huge blazes and signs" I usually don't bother with a route page. But I do give the names of the trails (not always clear on a map), their direction of approach, and a rough indication of where the trailhead is. Also, I find that Topozone isn't always accurate when it comes to trail locations, so where I find an error I try to highlight that.
See, for example, the Trails Overview section of my recent Baldface page.

PS it's Sterling with an e, according to the USGS. They actually have "White Face" as two separate words, too.

big_g

big_g - Jun 19, 2006 3:28 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: nice

woops I thought I read Starling off the map. thx.

gjagiels

gjagiels - Aug 19, 2006 1:10 am - Voted 10/10

Good Page!

Nice looking page, maybe one suggestion is to add the elevation gain for the trailheads/routes, keep those VT pages coming! :)

Viewing: 1-5 of 5
Return to 'Sterling (Whiteface) Mountain' main page