Sunset color on the cloudtops...

Sunset color on the cloudtops...

Sunset color on the cloudtops from the Saddle Mountain trail.
Bob Bolton
on Dec 18, 2002 8:29 pm
Image ID: 15083

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-6 of 6
Brian Jenkins

Brian Jenkins - Nov 2, 2003 12:05 am - Hasn't voted

Perspective

OK, my perspective is all screwed up on this photo. Are you looking down on clouds below you or up at them?

Klenke

Klenke - Nov 2, 2003 2:17 am - Voted 10/10

Re: Perspective

Ok, Brian, I'll answer for Bob this way: what part of cloudtops doesn't make sense to you? :O

Brian Jenkins

Brian Jenkins - Nov 2, 2003 2:40 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Perspective

Doh!

desainme

desainme - Nov 2, 2003 9:19 am - Voted 10/10

Re: Perspective

Methinks thou art beneath yon clouds lookiing up. Forsooth the clouds in lower part are dark but the ones closer to the window between the clouds and earth getteth some light as the sonne shineth betwix the firmament and ye heavens. But I really thought the other way until Brian brought it up and regardless the picture is rated four celestial objects

Bob Bolton

Bob Bolton - Nov 2, 2003 12:33 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Perspective

Well, I'm afraid I can't wax so eloquent in my answer. That is looking down on the clouds with the sun getting quite near the horizon at about 30-45 degrees to the right of the camera angle. I'm guessing it was zoomed at between 100mm and 150mm to render the perspective more difficult to determine. Glad you like it!

Klenke

Klenke - Nov 2, 2003 1:06 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Perspective analysis

I'm not thinking I'm some visual wiz or anything, but there was never a question for me that this was a view looking down on the clouds (with or without the tree as visual aid).



You will note how the clouds are larger at the bottom and smaller at the top. This indicates the receding direction of the photo (top is farther away than bottom). For a photo looking up at clouds, the clouds (and general objects "infinitely" distant from the photographer; i.e. disregarding things which may be in the foreground), the clouds farthest away will be at the bottom of the photo and getting closer to the camera as you pan up the photo. The opposite is the case for a photo looking down on clouds.



The only way this could be a photo looking up at clouds is if Bob accidentally loaded it upside down (but this can be discounted due to the tree).



Reminds me of a TV commercial (forget the product) that was featured a few years ago where the scene was looking up at a skyrise. Time-lapse videography was used to show clouds blowing over the top of the skyrise from behind it to in front of it toward the camera. Only problem is, the supposedly same clouds reflecting in the glass skyrise were moving the wrong way (up the skyrise when they should have been going down)! Maybe you remember this commercial.

Viewing: 1-6 of 6