SW Ridge

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 37.82860°N / 119.4425°W
Additional Information Route Type: Scramble
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 3
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


This is an easy class 3 scramble with enoyable views of Tenaya Lake and the surrounding area. The class 3 section is all slab climbing, not too long, and ideal for an introduction to steeper slab soloing.

From the west side of Tenya Lake, head south along the trail. The most difficult challenge of the approach is the initial stream crossing. Leave the trail and climb the rounded granite dome on the lower portion of the SW Ridge. Climb over and onto the south side, then head east up the drainage to the small saddle found between the rounded dome and the SW Ridge proper.

Route Description


The most aesthetic and exciting part of the route is the few hundred feet of clean granite slabs that rise immediately above the saddle. There are plenty of cracks and ledges to guide you up the slabs. Don't forget to enjoy the views along the way.

Continue following the SW Ridge until you reach the top of the West Face Route. Above this point the ridge is more blocky and more of an arete, making it difficult to follow (with much up and down). There is a faint use trail that can be found at the top of the West Face route that takes you to the south side of the ridge and on up to the summit.

You can descend the same way or hike down to Mildred Lake and follow the drainage back out around the south side of the SW Ridge. Stay right (north) of the drainage for the easiest (and shortest) way back. Many climbers make the mistake of trying to hike out to the Sunrise Trail to take that back to Tenaya Lake. The cross-country travel is easy and enjoyable here, and there is no need to hike that far west to get back. Simply follow the contours around to the north.

Essential Gear


None needed.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.