Tamassee Knob Comments

Viewing: 1-7 of 7
BobSmith

BobSmith - Oct 30, 2005 9:05 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Thanks!



I'd heard that little mountain hid some really impressive old growth forests. I had my doubts on the approach, but as soon as you hit the ridges--huge old hardwoods everywhere. I'd like to bushwhack in there when the leaves are off the trees. Even that would be tough--the slopes are extremely steep, and you can see why the timber companies avoided the place. Now it's protected.

BobSmith

BobSmith - Oct 31, 2005 9:29 am - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

That's something that freaked me about Oklahoma when I first read it. When you're from the South, you have certain expectations about what does or does not roam in Oklahoma. Elk was never on my list of what I expected to be there. And the longhorns are almost gone, too, right? Having a tough time because modern cattle breeders don't care for them, from what I understand. Ironic and fitting that the wild lands would be their last redoubt and best hope.

desainme

desainme - Oct 30, 2005 9:53 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Pretty good woods and this knob looks kinda abrupt. Any pix of Tamassee Knob from the east?

BobSmith

BobSmith - Oct 31, 2005 8:59 am - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Thanks!



I was told that there is an absolutely wonderful spot to get a shot of the peak from the east on (appropriately) Tamassee Knob Road. However, I didn't have time to find the road (a paved side road off of 107).



So I had to make do with shots from the ridge and the peak. From the west all you see is that it's part of the plateau with some gaps leading to the unseen dropoff down to the Piedmont.

BobSmith

BobSmith - Nov 6, 2005 8:06 am - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Thanks!

Dean

Dean - Nov 25, 2005 10:53 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Happy Thanksgiving

BobSmith

BobSmith - Nov 26, 2005 4:36 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Thanks!



You, too!

Viewing: 1-7 of 7
Return to 'Tamassee Knob' main page