Viewing: 1-7 of 7
imontop

imontop - Sep 21, 2009 10:23 pm - Voted 10/10

Great Page Dean!!!!!

I've killed many a bunny rabbit under that peak. But, that was years ago. Looks like it's pretty "quiet" out there.

Dean

Dean - Sep 21, 2009 10:31 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Great Page Dean!!!!!

Thanks for the votes and comment Eric. You've actually been out there? Tell me more, that is such a remote area. It was neat though to do a north to south route on the roads. What a contrast between Melinda's pics of about 10 weeks ago and mine. It looks lush and green in her pics.

imontop

imontop - Sep 22, 2009 11:20 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Great Page Dean!!!!!

I was out there alot, especially around Kelton, and south to Tangent. This was probably 10 yrs ago, before I was started hiking. At the time, I didn't know what the peak, or peaks were named. But, I distinctly remember Tanget from yours and Melinda' pics. There used to be tons of rabbits out there. I was out there one Thanksgiving weekend rabbit hunting in a major snowstorm about 5 yrs ago. You think it's desolate in the summer, wait till there's 5 inches of snow and you can't see past the hood on the truck! I felt like I was in Antartica!

1L-19

1L-19 - Feb 24, 2018 4:22 pm - Voted 9/10

Re: Great Page Dean!!!!!

Yeah, it really depends on the time of year and how much precipitation the area has gotten. In the spring of 2017, this area was so lush and green it was unbelievable. We got a lot of snow that winter and had a fairly wet spring. The northern sections of the Great Salt Lake had water for the first time in years. Other times the yellow grass is the same color as the yellow dirt, so all your pictures look like they were taken with sepia settings turned on.

1L-19

1L-19 - Nov 26, 2017 7:11 pm - Voted 9/10

Safety tip

One thing I noticed about pics from the summit: wood pieces with nails sticking out. Be careful, you do not want to step on a nail up there!! That would make your descent to your vehicle very unpleasant.

1L-19

1L-19 - Feb 21, 2018 3:41 am - Voted 9/10

Good page, good info

I attempted Scorpio peak last weekend (just down the road from Tangent) but got turned back when a storm blew in. It was mainly just blowing dust that didn't amount to much but I didn't know that at the time. It was the day before a forecast storm. It was a really nice 58 degrees, sunny, and slight breeze when I set out from the car parked at 5000 ft elevation. Conditions were awesome!

When I got up to 6200 ft (summit is 6660 ft), the pleasant south breeze suddenly shifted to a howling north wind and it felt like the temperature dropped 20 degrees in a minute. It was like I just walked into a walk-in refrigerator. Then dark clouds popped up right over the summit and I couldn't see what was behind them. I figured the next day's forecast storms were rolling in early and I beat feet for the car. It's still winter and this place is really remote, so I didn't chance it. It's a real reminder of how a freak storm can come out of nowhere and how fast things can change. My car indicated that the temperature dropped 10 degrees from when I started out.

1L-19

1L-19 - Feb 24, 2018 4:52 pm - Voted 9/10

Cell phone coverage

This area is way out of cell phone coverage so it's my suggestion that if you're out here, you need a GPS device that can send text messages and ping 911 via satellite. In this area, it could literally save your life. A guy died in the Craner Peak area last spring because he got dehydrated, disoriented, and collapsed before he could make it back to his car. This really hit me where I live because I solo-climbed Craner the weekend before this happened. If I fell and broke my leg or some other freak accident, that could've been me laying out there.

I discovered that there is a cell-phone hot-spot just south of Kelton near a group of farm houses. It's about 2 miles southwest of Kelton along Emigrant Trail Road. I noticed it when my cell phone started making message-received sounds. I called my wife. The signal went away before I hit Kelton, so it's only good along a little half-mile or so section of that road.

Viewing: 1-7 of 7
Return to 'Tangent Peak (UT)' main page