Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 34.31423°N / 116.87943°W
Additional Information County: San Bernadino
Activities Activities: Trad Climbing, Sport Climbing, Toprope
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 7444 ft / 2269 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The Tanglewood Slabs are located near the Holcomb Valley Pinnacles, 1.5 miles to the Southeast off of Forest service road 3N16. This big slab is visible from the road and offers a great place to take beginners or people trying to get into climbing on the sharp end and placing gear. There are 8 climbs on this slab, and more on the rock outcroppings behind the Tanglewood Slab.


Getting There

HWY 38 North Shore of Big Bear Lake- Take Van Dusen Canyon road (3N09) Northwest to the junction of 3N16. Go right or East on 3N16 2.2 miles until the slabs are visible from the road. Park and hike the 10 minutes uphill to the base of the slab.

Routes

The routes on this slab will be from left to right.

Email 5.5- Gear to 2". Blank start. Face climb to small dihedral, over little roof to hand crack.

Fax 5.4- 2 Bolts on fun face climb

Hi Def 5.2- Gear to 2", dirty crack, not recommended due to bad pro.

Enterprise 5.6- 2 Bolts on broken face start, little loose! Gets better and more fun after first bolt.

There is a perfect anchor placement on the top of the slab to facilitate all climbs.

Red Tape

Parking Passes are required in Holcomb Valley. $5 per day or $35 for a year pass can be purchased at the Big Bear Discovery Center on the North Shore of Big Bear Lake on HWY 38. Many other local businesses sell the passes to on the way up the mountain. The pass is recommended especially on weekends. Rangers patrol Holcomb Valley frequently.

Camping

Camping is allowed, but fires are not. Just find a nice spot and set up! No permits are needed to climb or camp.

Leave No Trace!

Holcomb Valley is a fine place to do many fun outdoor activity's from climbing to mountain biking to trail running. Others come out here to go 4x4ing and other not so 'silent' sports. Please pick up your trash. This valley sees alot of use and gets dirtier and more littered every year. Keep this place beautiful and pristine!

External Links

Please see the Holcomb Valley main Page for more information for climbers.
Brad Singer's new guidebook Hidden Treasures East is recommended for the entire Big Bear Valley. Can be purchased at Big Bear Discovery Center.

First Ascents

In June of 2007, Pat and Lori Brennan along with Mike Itnyre developed this area.