Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 34.25670°N / 117.0077°W
Additional Information County: San Bernardino
Activities Activities: Hiking
Additional Information Elevation: 8535 ft / 2601 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Butler Peak



Butler Peak is the third most prominent peak in the San Bernardino Mountains. It has a prominence value of P1735. On it's airy summit stands the tallest fire lookout tower in the San Bernardino Mountains. Butler Peak is also on the Sierra Clubs Hundred Peaks Section list. Butler Peak is a drive up for high clearance vehicles or a long mountain bike ride that can be combined with hikes to other Hundred Peak listed summits. Some of this peaks are, Delamar Mountain, Grays Peak, Little Bear Peak, Arctic Point, Crafts Peak, Bertha Peak, and Gold Mountain. The best views of the Big Bear Lake region are to be found here. It is especially nice to plan trips to Butler around dusk to watch the sunset over the San Gabriel Mountains.

Getting There and Route

Butler Peak

Take the 215 Freeway through San Bernardino to SR 30. Drive east on SR 30 to the junction with SR 330. Drive north on SR 330 to SR 18 in Running Springs taking SR 18 all the way to the Big Bear Lake Dam. At the dam take SR 38 on the left to Fawnskin. As you enter Fawnskin turn left onto 3N14 and drive for 1.3 miles, the road turns to dirt after about .5 miles. At 1.3 miles you reach a fork with 2N13 on the left, take the left, also signed Butler Peak Lookout. At 2.4 miles there is a fork on the left keep right. At 3.9 miles another fork, turn left onto 2N13C. At 4.1 miles another fork keep right and continue all the way to the roads end. Walk up the steep path and stairs to the tower. Please respect the tower and it's staff. The staff are full of information and love to show you around the insides of the tower.

For mountain bikers this is one of the best rides in the range. Great vistas and good elevation. The roundtrip is about 14 miles with atleast 1800 feet of gain.

Red Tape

You will need a Adventure Pass for parking at the turnout.

External Links

For camping information and current conditions go to the San Bernardino National Forest for current conditions website.

Butler Peak is on the Hundred Peaks List.

Go to California Mountain Atlas for more prominence information.

For more fire lookout information check out the National Forest Association.

For more information on mountain biking in the Big Bear area check adventurehostel.com.

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.