Viewing: 1-4 of 4
Sharon

Sharon - Oct 1, 2007 10:08 pm - Hasn't voted

Tawoche *or* Taweche?

Roskelley & Jeff Lowe did the Northeast Face of Tawoche in Feb 1989. Note alternative spelling-- is this the same place you are referring to? I couldn't figure it out very easily from John's book, other than if this isn't the same place it is REALLY close. Lurid details can be found in John's 1991 book, "Last Days: A World-famous Climber Challenges the Himalayas' Tawoche & Menlungtse". Roskelley also attempted Tawoche in 1984 with Jim Bridwell. Roskelley gives the climbing history of this peak in "Last Days", & the AAJ also references Tawoche.

johnloguk

johnloguk - Oct 2, 2007 4:13 am - Hasn't voted

Yes

Yes it is the same place, I've even seen the spelling "Taboche" I think. The main peak has been climbed many times but is way out of my league though. It's just weird that nearly 20 years after we climbed up to the Towers that I've never found a reference to them anywhere. At the time we knew it was a rare ascent, because the local sherpas told us that nobody ever goes up there, but I was sure it would have become a regular destination for trekkers by now. So many people do Gokyo Peak, Chukhung Ri and Kala Patar etc, but Taweche Towers is at least as good a viewpoint. If I remember rightly our group leader had an Australian mate who had told him about the Towers, and he was determined to find them the next time he was in the Khumbu, so he did! I'm sure there are many other "unkown" gems like this, waiting to be discovered, just off the blazed trail.

dmiki

dmiki - Mar 23, 2008 3:26 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Yes

Thank you for this nice and 'secret' addition to SP!

Mathias Zehring

Mathias Zehring - Jun 15, 2009 1:21 am - Voted 10/10

attaching needed

this page has to be attached to the list "Nepalese trekking peaks" as a child. The different spelling should be named on the main page so that search engines can find them. I'd say that "Taboche" is the most common name. So it's the name of the SP page about the main summit.

Viewing: 1-4 of 4
Return to 'Taweche Towers' main page