Viewing: 1-20 of 27
12
Tracy

Tracy - Mar 31, 2009 8:42 pm - Voted 10/10

Enjoyable read!

Thanks for doing this trip report. I (like you once thought) have only pictured a late March day-trip as something other people do. Now you got me contemplating the possibilities....

Matthew Van Horn

Matthew Van Horn - Mar 31, 2009 9:20 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Enjoyable read!

Hey thanks. I really didn't take many photos, so I hope the scarcity of pictures among the text doesn't keep readers away. Contemplation--that's success begins! (Now I sound like one of those inspirational posters.)

Dmitry Pruss

Dmitry Pruss - Apr 1, 2009 6:47 pm - Voted 10/10

Nature's calls

aren't the best thing to have in the blustery tundra. To avoid them, I recommend ignoring the marathoners' carb-loading tales. The KPT ain't a four hour chunk of running and sweating. Load on protein and fat instead; don't worry about carbs and fiber. A wee bit of constipation is the king LOL. You can trust someone who had to do it at -40 degrees ;)

Eating and drinking in the comfier spots is very important. The least windy locations are usually the last stands of trees on the way to Gunsight, and then the summit itself. Take nice breaks there, do not wait until the effects of dehydration and calorie shortage get to you. A forced break later on in a gale would cost you more time, and take away more of your energy.

Matthew Van Horn

Matthew Van Horn - Apr 1, 2009 6:54 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Nature's calls

I wanted to ask you about your pre-trek prime rib dinners every year. I'm just figuring out what works best for fuel. I'm hesitant to have to let my guts work a bunch of fat & protein through during the night and morning but maybe that is what I need to try next time. I didn't have the luxury of taking a break after the peak until I reached Elkhorn. Next year will be a different story.

Dmitry Pruss

Dmitry Pruss - Apr 1, 2009 7:37 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: prime rib dinners

Gone are the days of yore. Lottie's no more, although JBs have prime rib on the menu too (but not all you can eat). This year I chose liver n'onions there - that's just so you undersand that you should take my dietary advice at your own risk LOL.

Yeah and of course also a shot of hard liquor before bedtime, lest you spend too much of the night rolling worried. There ain't nobody to spill the beans to the bishop there.

Matthew Van Horn

Matthew Van Horn - Apr 1, 2009 8:06 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: prime rib dinners

LOL!

Scott Wesemann

Scott Wesemann - Apr 7, 2009 2:13 am - Voted 10/10

Re: prime rib dinners

Funny!! This literally made me laugh out loud. Nice!

vanman798

vanman798 - Apr 14, 2009 5:14 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: prime rib dinners

"There ain't nobody to spill the beans to the bishop there"

I had to laugh out loud when I read this too!

Dmitry Pruss

Dmitry Pruss - Apr 15, 2009 12:45 pm - Voted 10/10

It's almost scary,

I must have lived in Utah too long if I can deadpan a line to send the locals-only laughing ... but isn't it true that a definition of a hot drink might change when everything is way below freezing?

Matthew Van Horn

Matthew Van Horn - Apr 3, 2009 3:03 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Way to Go!

Thanks man. Not too proud of that 19 hours so next time will be to see how much better my time can be.

Moogie737

Moogie737 - Apr 5, 2009 7:03 pm - Voted 9/10

Yup, a long grind

Nice report, Matt. It's a trip to remember, isn't it?

Matthew Van Horn

Matthew Van Horn - Apr 6, 2009 12:54 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Yup, a long grind

I won't soon forget this one. I've decided I will go again next year.

Rob Thompson

Rob Thompson - Apr 5, 2009 11:35 pm - Voted 10/10

Excellent Report

Congratulations on a challenging success. Enjoyed your report and photos; especially while sipping a cup of hot chocolate.

Thanks for sharing.

Matthew Van Horn

Matthew Van Horn - Apr 6, 2009 11:00 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Excellent Report

Thanks Rob. I enjoy your photos.

imontop

imontop - Apr 6, 2009 12:17 am - Voted 10/10

Nice job!

Yeah, I'm extremely jealous! Loved your TR. By the way, I've always wondered if the chute coming off Anderson Pass is "passable" in winter? It's nasty enough in the summer! I would think the steepness and all those cliffs and loose rock faces would make it dicey.

lcarreau

lcarreau - Apr 6, 2009 8:17 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Nice job!

You should ask 'Dean' about that chute; he calls it the toilet
bowl or rim of the toilet.

Geez, quite a report. Love to see how the 'wind-whipped' summits
LOOK LIKE that time of the year.

No mosquitoes to deal with, either! Where were the moose, were
they hunkered down at the lower elevations? Nice work, man !!!

Matthew Van Horn

Matthew Van Horn - Apr 6, 2009 11:03 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Nice job!

Thanks. I've wondered about that chute, too, with snow cover. However, I'm not one to have any business near that chute in the snow months.

Matthew Van Horn

Matthew Van Horn - Apr 6, 2009 11:05 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Nice job!

Saw no moose, just several tracks of small critters. And thank goodness we don't have to contend with skeeters in cold months.

Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler - Apr 12, 2009 8:55 pm - Voted 10/10

Good read

Well-written and honest, and many things I can identify with-- not liking camping, having trouble sleeping because of the anticipation (the night before a climb, I'm lucky to sleep 4 hours), the saying goodbye to the wife and kids as you head off in the dark.

I read this the day you posted it but didn't have the time to comment. I'm glad this made the front page; it is a well-done TR.

Matthew Van Horn

Matthew Van Horn - Apr 12, 2009 9:01 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Good read

Thanks Bob. I enjoy yours as well.

Viewing: 1-20 of 27
12
Return to 'The Big Prize: King's Peak in March' main page