The Bowels of the Owls

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 40.40348°N / 105.51762°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: 5.0 (YDS)
Additional Information Number of Pitches: 1
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Looking up from within The Bowels of the OwlsLooking up from within The Bowels of the Owls.

This is the easiest route to the summit of The Twin Owls.

Getting There

Start at the Lumpy Ridge Trailhead.

Route Description

Stats: Rating: 5.0, 1.9 miles (round trip), 1117 feet of elevation gain.

From the Lumpy Ridge Trailhead, take the trail that heads northwest (as opposed to the trail that heads northeast towards Gem Lake) for 0.5 miles to the Black Canyon Trail. Turn right (east) onto the Black Canyon Trail and hike for a little over 0.1 miles (passing a large boulder with a bolted rock climb to a roof) until you reach the spur trail that heads north to the base of The Twin Owls. Take the spur trail up the steep slope for 0.2 miles to the base of The Twin Owls. Continue on the trail as it passes The Twin Owls on the east side and wraps around to the north side. Once on the north side, look for a large chasm that you can walk into and then scramble to the back of. This is the Bowels of the Owls route.

Scramble to the back of the chimney, going underneath a chockstone on the way. Once in the recesses of the chimney, begin the scramble/stemming up the chimney. After about 30 vertical feet of climbing you can pop up and out of the chimney on the east (left) side. From there, it's an easy jaunt to the top of the 'East Owl' (the high point of the Twin Owls).

You can return the way that you came, or, for a loop hike, head east once you reach the Black Canyon Trail and take that for 0.3 miles to the Gem Lake Trail. Take the Gem Lake Trail south (right) for 0.5 miles back to the trailhead.

Trail Profile and Map

The trail color represents the class of that portion of the trail.

Green = Class 1
Yellow = Class 5

Trail Profile

The vertical unit is feet, and the horizontal unit is miles.
Trail Profile of The Bowels Of The Owls from the Lumpy Ridge Trailhead


Map
The Bowels of the Owls from the Lumpy Ridge TrailheadThe Bowels of the Owls from the Lumpy Ridge TH.



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.