The Green Bridge of Wales

The Green Bridge of Wales

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 51.61052°N / 4.99847°W
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Aug 31, 2015
Activities Activities: Trad Climbing
Seasons Season: Summer

The Green Bridge of Wales - Pembroke

Warm greetings Summit Posters on a cold, damp day from Bristol in the UK!

So here's a warm offering to hopefully enliven your day and a reminder of those distant, hazy summer days about a visit to Pembroke on the last August Bank Holiday. Our group were finally rewarded with excellent weather so the opportunity arose to climb and film on probably the most spectacular natural sea arch in the United Kingdom called the Green Bridge of Wales. Formed from carboniferous limestone with a lot of help from the sea over the centuries and a popular visitor attraction, this has been a long planned Bald Eagle Production filming mission and it was great to team up with local devotees Henry and Paul, alongside my mates Sorcha and SJ for a re-ascent of the first ever route put up on the arch in 1982 called Isambard's Kingdom which goes at a modest but very photogenic HVS grade. If you look closely you can also spot quick cameo's from ninja warriors Dan Mcmanus and James Mchaffie relaxing apres-climb after putting up a new route on the East side of the arch, plus Maddy Cope and Wideboy Pete climbing on the adjacent "Bridgess" which goes at a trifling E5 6b... 

Anyway the entertainment was duly recorded so for anyone interested this short video features the usual flora + fauna, honking seals, horizontal belaying, brain-melting exposure and some aerial drone footage of one of the most spectacular landmarks of Pembroke, indeed the whole of Wales!



If you wish to sample the full High Def experience and your computer has enough va va voom, you should be able to change the "Quality" icon to 1080p HD in the bottom right hand corner on the You Tube screen. All constructive feedback welcome, please feel free to share and hopefully it will enliven a lunch or tea break up over a brew + bicscuit and transport you to the spectacular cliffs of peerless Pemby! :-)

Cheers and happy climbing

Dave




Comments

No comments posted yet.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Pembroke/PenfroTrip Reports