Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 39.33530°N / 106.1069°W
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Aug 1, 2003
After losing a day to altitude sickness, the next morning we decided to tackle Bross. The drive up to the Dolly Varden Mine trailhead was fairly scenic and a little nerve-racking at times. However, the trailhead is very easy to find. The walk up through the Bristlecone area makes this one worth it. Upon leaving the trailhead make sure you take the right fork in the road. This leads to the Bristlecone area. From here we walked right up the road that leads to the summit. Several cars passed us on the way up. Kinda takes the fun out of it if you drive to the summit. The trail is a series of switchbacks up to the Dolly Varden Mine. The mine is about 13,300 feet. From here we had a pretty easy time. This was our second attempt of a 14er. Mount Sherman was our first. Bross is an ok hike. With cars passing us on the way up kinda took the serenity out of it. A word about the road, there are several switchbacks just below the mine where the road can be confusing. Bross's round summit sets it apart from the other 14ers. As a first 14er, I recommend it. If you enjoy serene, "get away from it all hikes", I dont recommend this one. We will probably take the Kite lake approach next time.

Comments

No comments posted yet.