The Three Penguins

The Three Penguins

Rapping off the center Penguin (north Penguin is behind me) and doing my best Warren Harding impression (March 27, 2005). PS not sure WTF happened here, but when we pulled the ropes after this rap, both ropes had severe sheath damage (75% sheath wasted) somewhere near the knot in the photo. No apparent sharp edges. Scary! Found this similar rope story.
rpc
on Mar 30, 2005 4:46 pm
Image Type(s): Rock Climbing
Image ID: 98014

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-7 of 7
Aaron Johnson

Aaron Johnson - Mar 30, 2005 6:33 pm - Voted 10/10

Abrasiveness

Radek-Do you think the abrasiveness of the soft sandstone might have trashed your ropes while doing these Arches climbs? I've always been told never to step on the rope (grinding dirt into it does it no good) and drag it only when necessary as dirt causes it to break down, sometimes rapidly, once caught in the sheath material. The tiny sand morsels (essentially glass) apparently cut and grind the sheath from within once imbedded in the rope.

rpc

rpc - Mar 30, 2005 8:54 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Abrasiveness

Aaron,

I think the damage you mention would be something that would be spread out throughout the length of the rope (sand getting into the core). What we saw after pulling the ropes was an abrupt, "point" damage in both ropes where the sheath was cut half to 3/4ths of the way around the core (core was intact thankfully). Will need to slice off 18 inches from both ropes.

They must've run over something - but I saw nothing there that could account for it?

Kinda scary.

Brian Jenkins

Brian Jenkins - Mar 30, 2005 9:19 pm - Hasn't voted

Dude, you need a haircut.

:- )

rpc

rpc - Mar 30, 2005 9:57 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Dude, you need a haircut.

Come on man - I'm working on that slimy, dirty old man look (to match my inner persona)!



heh, heh...

Brian Jenkins

Brian Jenkins - Mar 30, 2005 10:04 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Dude, you need a haircut.

Spitting image of Fred Beckey ;- )

Klenke

Klenke - Mar 30, 2005 10:12 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Dude, you need a haircut.

I was just going to say the same thing. But Fred's not as surly. Or do I have that backward?

Brian Jenkins

Brian Jenkins - Mar 30, 2005 10:14 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Dude, you need a haircut.

Just steal Radek's Red Bull and you'll find out.

Viewing: 1-7 of 7