Thimble Peak Additions and Corrections

Viewing: 1-5 of 5
hans.schenk

hans.schenk - Apr 20, 2010 7:08 pm - Voted 10/10

The Back Way in...

There is a back way to hike /climb Thimble Peak that is longer, but has less elevation gain. I think it is about 10 miles roundtrip. From Catalina Highway, park in the parking lot on the southwest side of the road at mile marker 7. It is the old Soldier Camp Road and Trailhead. The wash leads to the climbing area known as Jailhouse Rock. Instead follow the old dirt road as it heads west. Once you hit Sycamore Spring Reservoir, the road becomes a trail. Follow the trail west to the junction with Bear Canyon Trail. Hang a left (south) and you will follow that trail until it starts to head downhill. Look for some cairns that mark a faint trail heading to the right and towards Thimble Peak. Follow this faint trail all the way to the peak.

Andinistaloco

Andinistaloco - Apr 25, 2010 10:44 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: The Back Way in...

Hans, very interesting! I've actually climbed at Jailhouse but never thought about doing Thumble from there. Want to do a route page? If not maybe I can check it out. How's life and climbing?

hans.schenk

hans.schenk - Apr 27, 2010 9:23 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: The Back Way in...

Thanks for the reply! I wouldn't mind doing a route page...but I don't think I have many pics...if any at all! I will have to double-check. Life has been busy...we are trying to adopt. Climbing has been sparse, but I am hoping to get out more this summer. You?

Andinistaloco

Andinistaloco - Jun 1, 2010 2:29 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: The Back Way in...

I hear you amigo... heck, I haven't made a new page (other than the Sedona one) in a long damned time. How's the adoption thing going? My summer's fun - lots of trips (Hawaii was one) and fun, just not much climbing here either....

hans.schenk

hans.schenk - Jun 14, 2010 3:39 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: The Back Way in...

Hey, I found my old pics and put up the page - named Thimble Flat! Enjoy!

Viewing: 1-5 of 5
Return to 'Thimble Peak' main page