Viewing: 1-8 of 8
Matthew Van Horn

Matthew Van Horn - Oct 5, 2012 12:03 am - Voted 10/10

epic run

This year, early on the morning of September 7, about 250 runners followed the same trail you describe, on a journey of 100 miles to the Homestead in Midway. I was one of those runners. I know that trail well. Great place to visit.

Moogie737

Moogie737 - Oct 5, 2012 9:12 am - Hasn't voted

Re: epic run

So did you start at the Kays Creek TH? You have really turned into quite the long-distance guy, Matt. Way to go - it's something I can now only admire rather than think about doing!

Matthew Van Horn

Matthew Van Horn - Oct 8, 2012 5:46 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: epic run

Michael, the W100 starts about 3.5 miles to the south of Fernwood.

PanamaRed

PanamaRed - Oct 7, 2012 12:24 am - Voted 10/10

Great trip report!

A very well done page! Excellent job!

Moogie737

Moogie737 - Oct 7, 2012 11:32 am - Hasn't voted

Kind comments appreciated

Glad you liked it. I am trying to put up things of worth! :)

Miriam.Langford - Mar 14, 2013 8:50 pm - Hasn't voted

A shorter and better way to Thurston Peak

If you park in the same place but go up the Fernwood ridge (directly east) toward Thurston you will find a very good trail. Some people on the internet call it the Layton Community trail. My husband and I refer to it as Fernwood ridge trail. At the beginning of your trail report you came to a Great Western Trail Sign. You were on that trail. Near that sign is a old dirt road to the right. Take it. Then after several blocks you will come to several obvious trails to the left. They all feed into the main trail and put you on the ridge most of the way up. It meets your trail just south of shin scraper. It cuts a drastic amount off but is steeper. There are several people who do this trail every day for their exercise. One of them always carries his pruners and works on it in all seasons. (thank you Richard) After you have been on the trail for 45 min you will see an old cabin off the trail not far to your right with a green roof. There is a spring there as well.

Moogie737

Moogie737 - Mar 15, 2013 12:02 am - Hasn't voted

Re: A shorter and better way to Thurston Peak

Thank you very much for this information. After the snow melts I'll try it: shorter is fine, steeper is all right as long as it doesn't require pitons!

Scott

Scott - Aug 23, 2018 1:08 pm - Hasn't voted

Stove

I am startled, not to find a camping site at a level spot at the north edge of the trees, but to find a cast-iron stove plunked on the ground next to a large fire pit. It begs the question: How did it get here? Horseback? Pack mule? Forest Service chopper? I look for other evidence of serious long-term camping, maybe even a ramshackle cabin skeleton but find nothing. So I name this spot "the stove site"

There used to be an old sheepherders cabin at that site. I can dig up an old photo when I have the chance. The cabin was still usable in the 1980's, but disappeared sometime between the mid 1980's and mid 1990's. I don't know if it fell apart on its own, or was burned down by someone, disassembled by the Forest Service, or torn apart for firewood.

Viewing: 1-8 of 8
Return to 'Thurston Peak via Kays Creek - Details & Pics' main page