Tony Grove

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 41.91140°N / 111.6747°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 1
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


See main page for driving directions to trailhead

Winter approach will be from US 89 at the parking area.
Ski or snow shoe west up the drainages (not the road, the road adds three miles) for 4.5 miles to the summer tralhead ...Tony Grove Lake. Good luck with the snowmobiles buzzing around you.

Route Description


From the trailhead at Tony Grove Lake the trail climbs gently uphill for about 400 yards before coming to a forest service signboard Board
where it forks. Bear left here, as the trail goes into a long turn to the west towards Naomi Peak. The wildflower section of the trail continues for only about 0.5 mile beyond the sign before the grade gets steeper and the rocky soil becomes less supportive of ground cover.
As the trail ascends toward the summit ridge you will climb onto two narrow benches, each about 250 feet above the preceding one. The path climbs out of the meadow and onto the first bench about 0.8 mile from the trailhead. Then after a brief respite the route becomes steep again until the second bench is attained 0.8 mile farther along. From the second bench the trail makes its third and last steep climb up to the summit ridge just north of the peak.
Once you reach the summit ridge it will be necessary to leave the trail and strike out along the top of the ridge for the last 0.2 mile to the peak. The Mount Naomi Wilderness Area boundary line also follows the ridge, and you will see a forest service sign at the boundary just before the point where you must leave the trail. It is an easy ten-minute scramble along the summit ridge to the top of Naomi Peak. The peak is only 140 feet higher than the pass, and there is no vegetation to impede the way.

Essential Gear


Summer moths require no extra gear
Winter: depending on summit route, snow shoes or skis to the base of the summit than crampons and ice axe if choosing my optional route to the southerly saddle than north to summit.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.