Townsend Creek/SE approach

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 47.86704°N / 123.05961°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking, Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 1
Sign the Climber's Log

Route Description

From Mt. Townsend trail No. 839, follow path through coniferous forest. After 2.25 miles, the trail (in late season with no snow) will split in two in a high alpine basin.

The steep snowfields of TownsendSnowfield with horizontal bands of trees


Take the right fork or bear right in the snow up a series of steep snowfields, divided by bands of trees.

At the top of the slope (3.25 miles, 6,000 ft.), bear right (North) on the ridge to the South Summit of Mt. Townsend. The North Summit is slightly lower and just beyond the South Summit.

In Mid-May, the summit ridge had melted nearly bare of snow. We encountered the most severe snow on the steep slope below the summit ridge. The key is to remember to bear right in the upper basin / white ampitheatre if snow covers the trail.

Welch s PeakWelch's Peak

The prominent peak to the left (South) is Welch Peaks.
The Silver Creek drainage and Hawk Peak is beyond (West) of Townsend's summit ridge.


Essential Gear

In the snow, I'd recommend mountaineering boots, gaitors, an ice axe, altimeter, compass, map, poles, and appropriate clothing.

In the dry season (July-September), I'd anticipate normal hiking-in-the-wilderness conditions.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.