Viewing: 1-12 of 12
Augie Medina

Augie Medina - Nov 9, 2007 5:28 pm - Voted 10/10

Too Much Adventure

You guys are lucky to be here. And talk about non-stop challenges with your rappels! Great story.

AJones

AJones - Nov 9, 2007 6:30 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Too Much Adventure

Thanks, I guess you do enough alpine climbing you're bound to have a mini epic or two. Nice pics on your page, and you write pretty good for a one year old.

Aaron Johnson

Aaron Johnson - Nov 9, 2007 7:09 pm - Voted 10/10

Well Written and Gripping!

Quite the experience you two went through to get off the mountain! Nicely done, and the account is well written too! I couldn't get out of my seat.

AJones

AJones - Nov 9, 2007 9:48 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Well Written and Gripping!

Thanks for the compliment! I really enjoy writing about my climbs, so it's nice to hear someone say they enjoyed reading it.

camerona91

camerona91 - Nov 15, 2007 3:17 pm - Voted 10/10

Exciting read!

Sounds like an exciting trip! Its incredible how often rapping can get messed up.

AJones

AJones - Nov 15, 2007 8:49 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Exciting read!

Thanks - it was exciting and a little hairy. Everytime I pull a rappel rope, I say a little prayer to the rappel gods and hoped I haven't pissed them off.

danimal7777

danimal7777 - Nov 18, 2007 12:34 pm - Hasn't voted

Fascinating!

I'm very envious. A superb adventure. I'm curious, what rope would you take for a pull-down if you were to do it all over again? An 8mm cord, or something more substantial?

AJones

AJones - Nov 19, 2007 10:21 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Fascinating!

Yes, and 8 or 8.5. I've found my best "luck" with rappelling is to use an 8.5 and a 10.5. But the trick is using the 10.5 as the pulling rope. This means that use set the knot up on the correct side of the anchor so that you pull the fatter rope. The one thing you have to be careful about is that the thinner rope will run through the anchors a bit, so you need to ensure you have knots at the ends of your ropes (which you should anyway). It's far easier pulling the fat rope, especially if there's any significant friction.

dfrancom

dfrancom - Aug 7, 2009 6:05 pm - Voted 10/10

Awesome

loved the part about the wrapping. Hate it when that happens. I always thought to pull the small line first. But then, if the big line gets stuck you only have small line to lead back up, risky! but I think heavy lines to tend to fall better. But I'm not an expert. Great job on surviving!

AJones

AJones - Aug 25, 2009 3:47 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Awesome

It's better to pull the big line - easier to pull, and like you said, if it does get stuck, you can lead back on it. Some will say it's better to have the big rope taking the weight of the rappel, but seems many people climb with two 8s or 8.5s, (and rappel on those), I think that's a bit of a red herring.

CanadianSteve - Jul 1, 2010 3:24 pm - Hasn't voted

Great Report!

Really enjoyed the report! Thanks!

AJones

AJones - Jul 9, 2010 1:54 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Great Report!

Thanks!

Viewing: 1-12 of 12
Return to ' Fun & Games on the South Howser Tower - Bugaboos' main page