Labor Day Weekend 2008

Labor Day Weekend 2008

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report

Labor Day Weekend 2008

Bad weather put an end to our big plans for Mount Timpanogos in the Wasatch Range, so we had to make do with smaller peaks and hikes. Here is a summary of each:

August 30: Mount Aire (Utah)

After a family reunion, Kim and I left the kids with the relatives and headed off to climb Mount Aire. Mount Aire is one of the lower summits in the Wasatch, but since it has great views and since we didn’t start up the trail until 4:30 PM, it was a great choice. It was a nice late evening hike and we saw several horned toads along the way. After enjoying the fine views, we descended the mountain arriving to the trailhead around sunset.

August 31: Lake Mountain Peak (Utah)

Today we had big plans to start the climb of Mount Timpanogos, sometimes called the most impressive mountain in the US Rockies. Unfortunately, a large storm was forecasted to hit the Wasatch Mountains, so we had to change plans. Since we were staying with my brother Mark, we chose to attempt Lake Mountain Peak which rises right outside his house. It is a less spectacular mountain than Timpanogos, but would be safe.

Shaylee, Kessler, Kimberly, Mark (brother) and nephews Josh and Matthew started up the peak after church. The route was very steep and Shaylee and Kim turned back early. The rest of us made one of the northern summits of Lake Mountain Peak before it was obvious that the forecasted storm was approaching rather quickly, so we turned back before the main summit was attained. We still had some nice views and the storm hit not long after we returned to the house.

September 1: Battle Creek (Utah)

As mentioned on the August 31 log, we had to bail on our planned climb of Mount Timpanogos because a large storm hit the Wasatch. On September 1, our last day of the Labor Day weekend, we decided to visit the lower slopes of Mount Timpanogos on the west side of the mountain. We (Shaylee, Kessler, Kim and I) hiked up Battle Creek to the nice twin waterfalls and a little beyond. We had some great views of the newly snow covered mountain after the big storm.




Comments

No comments posted yet.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Mount AireTrip Reports