Viewing: 1-8 of 8
theplugger

theplugger - Mar 11, 2002 2:12 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Very interesting, and quite complete. Well done, will have to do this one some time while passing through.

Brownside - Mar 11, 2002 4:42 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Theplugger,



Feel free to check out the 'Alam kuh Peak' Brenta Dolomites', or 'Mount Konocti' here at summitpost.com. :)

Popoff - Nov 18, 2002 9:43 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Great page.

Aaron Johnson

Aaron Johnson - May 7, 2003 5:18 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Well done. Just discovered the area during a recent visit to Vegas and badly want to return. Nice to see it well represented on SP!

John

John - May 8, 2003 8:56 am - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

I'm glad you got to visit the area Aaron. It really is a magical area. Being so close to Vegas makes it convenient and SP goes a long way to make hiking and climbing those peaks enjoyable! The first time I was here, there was very little info I cound find and I ended up going cross country up a drainage for some adventure. Hope you get to make it down here again!

enniofan - Jun 13, 2005 1:29 am - Voted 8/10

Untitled Comment

Just wanted to say I think this page is a little easy on the description of this hike. I hiked Turtlehead Peak a couple months ago and found it pretty rough.

Not so much going up, but getting down was treacherous, with all the loose rock. Be very careful.



And the trail itself is not obvious AT ALL once up there (I know, you just head UP!).

Very easy to get lost. But that's just me. :-)

John

John - Jun 14, 2005 6:24 am - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Thanks for the comments. I didn't get the impression on either the main route or the west gully route was dangerous but perhaps conditions have changed. If you let me know where you thought the route was especially treacherous, I can add it to the description.



As for the trails on top, from what I remember there were just a few use trails, nothing permanent or maintained but as long as you headed back in the direction of the saddle, you'd get there.



If you have more thoughts, it might be helpful for others if you posted some of your thoughts/descriptions as an 'addition' to the main page. Thanks.

Judd97

Judd97 - Jul 12, 2010 9:48 pm - Voted 10/10

Careful...

In the "Getting There" section it mentions how you may have to park on the side of the road during busy times...

Be careful with this. We climbed TH Peak in late March on a Saturady and it was indeed very busy. Dozens of cars were lined up and parked on the sides of the road, so we assumed that it was fine. However, when we returned to our car a few hours later we were facing an ugly $175 parking ticket for parking in an undesignated area.

Viewing: 1-8 of 8
Return to 'Turtlehead Peak' main page