Twin Lakes Trail

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 44.81670°N / 118.1025°W
Additional Information Route Type: HIke and Scramble
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


To reach the Twin Lakes trailhead from Baker City, head west on Highway 7 for about 21.5 miles, and turn right onto Deer Creek Road between mileposts 29 and 28. Continue on this road about 4 miles to a 4-way intersection, and continue straight onto forest road #030 for 3 miles to the trail head. The final 1/2 mile is rough, but passable to most vehicles.

Route Description


The trail follows Lake Creek through a mixed Conifer forest. About half a mile in, it crosses Lake Creek. After 2 miles, the trail leaves the woods and traverses a meadow where wildflowers bloom in the summer. At 3.1 miles, the trail passes Twin Lakes, where a few good campsites can be found. The next mile of the trail switchbacks up a talus slope to a saddle, and junction with the Elkhorn Crest Trail. Go left for approximately 1 mile until you reach the southwest slope of Rock Creek Butte. From here it is about half a mile of easy scrambling to the summit, where there is a cairn and a register box.

Distance one way is about 5.5 miles
Elevation gain is 3700 feet

Essential Gear


sunscreen and water

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.