U-Mound Access

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 35.08120°N / 106.4807°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking, Bouldering, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 2+
Sign the Climber's Log

Facts

Distance - 0.7 miles (one-way)
Trailhead Elevation - 5960'
Summit Elevation - 6307'
Gain - 350'

Approach

See the "Getting There" section on the U-Mound main page.

Route Description

Leave the trailhead heading due east on trail 400. There are many cross trails but you will keep heading east for over 0.3 miles. At this point you will come to a fence and the trail turns sharply to the right. There are some white and orange signs that say "U-Mound Access"; these will help guide you. After turning right continue to follow the trail as it switch backs twice up the hill. You will be able to see the summit the entire time to the north. Once you reach the top of the switch backs there will be another "U-Mound access" sign and you will turn left.
U-Mound s Upper TrailOnce you turn left you will see the trail leading to the upper portion of U-Mound
Looking downThis shows the upper portion of the hike before the scramble


This final trail segment gets steeper and there is a significant amount of loose rock here. Find some solid footing on some larger rocks as you make your way up this section. Once you pass all the loose rock you will come to some very solid rock with two choices. I recommend going up the slab and down the alternate way since downclimbing the slab is not as much fun.

U-Mound Upper SlabThe slab portion of the hike. The summit is at the top of this slab.
U-Mound SummitThe summit. To take the alternate way down just continue to follow the trail shown as it wraps around the summit area. You will end up at the bottom of the slab.

Essential Gear

Typical gear for a short hike.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

U-MoundRoutes