Viewing: 1-20 of 44
hgrapid

hgrapid - Feb 13, 2006 5:49 pm - Hasn't voted

If you guys need help...

I'd be happy to help. I am busy finishing the Shenandoah Mountains, but I have hiked 30 highpoints, and maintain 12 highpoint pages if you need guidance on this.

SawtoothSean

SawtoothSean - Feb 14, 2006 5:29 am - Hasn't voted

Re: If you guys need help...

Hi- Sure , I'd like help. I have the western block high points (including Alaska / no Hawaii) and Puma has some of the eastern high points. What level of involvement would you like (I'm open to anything)? I gave you Admin access so you can add or change the format of what's there- feel free to do what you like. I feel this list should be a joint venture by those who've done a good amount of the high points and/ or have pages on them.

Sean

hgrapid

hgrapid - Feb 14, 2006 3:09 pm - Hasn't voted

Okay, but give me time

Alright, my week is really busy - like REALLY busy. But I can work on the Southern highpoints on Friday evening and Saturday. I mean, I got an article published in Apex to Zenith on the highpoints of the South, so I can probably just use that. So, why don't I write something up and e-mail you guys. Sound good? Why don't you e-mail me instead of doing summitpost messages, because new messages don't show up in this format.

TLP

TLP - Feb 16, 2006 9:30 am - Hasn't voted

It will be great

Just wanted to say that I'm sure you guys will do a terrific job. I like all your pages on the High Points, and find them useful. This year I hope to do a lot more myself, and if you need any photos or stuff from me, I'd be happy to contribute.

cp0915

cp0915 - Feb 22, 2006 8:52 pm - Voted 10/10

Excellent job!

A really nice, well done job on this page.

hgrapid

hgrapid - Feb 23, 2006 12:26 am - Hasn't voted

We appear done!

I made a minor language correction to the text under Mount Hood, and added the rest of the links to the Western States. Looks AWESOME. I suggest we each take one last look to see if there are any mistakes, and then we share this page with the Highpointers Club!

Josh

Josh - Feb 23, 2006 12:36 am - Voted 10/10

Nice Work Here

Great job. It's nice to see the collaboration and the great page that has resulted from it.

Aaron Johnson

Aaron Johnson - Feb 23, 2006 1:00 am - Voted 9/10

GREAT EXAMPLE

of collaboration! Beautiful page!

hgrapid

hgrapid - Feb 23, 2006 3:47 pm - Hasn't voted

Highpointers Club Newsletter Response

This was the response of the Newsletter people at the Highpointers Club. They responded 5 minutes after I sent them the e-mail:

----------------
I will certainly spend time reviewing this new site about highpoints, and I'll provide some coverage in the upcomin nl. Thanks to the three for spending time with this!
- John M.
-------------------

SawtoothSean

SawtoothSean - Feb 27, 2006 1:50 am - Hasn't voted

Re: I'm loving it

Thanks for the kind words Dean!

Sean

The Lower Marmot

The Lower Marmot - Feb 27, 2006 2:21 am - Voted 10/10

Great

This really demonstrates the strength of the capability of letting multiple users maintain one page--between the three of you this page is absolutely wonderful. Well done, all of you!

SawtoothSean

SawtoothSean - Feb 27, 2006 6:37 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Great

Thanks for looking and the kind words!

americasroof - Feb 27, 2006 5:32 pm - Hasn't voted

Bear Mountain, CT, Should Not Be on List

This will undoubtedly become the definitive source for info because it's so great so I'm going to be nitpicky.

I was getting ready to switch http://highpointers.org primary links to this list which is much better updated because of its collaborative nature than any other site out there. However, I notice an anomaly in that Bear Mountain is also recognized as a highpoint (and why the list shows 51 entries -- I was expeting #51 to be DC).

We've been down this debate before. Bear Mountain should come off the list. The slippery slope of highpoints on features with higher elevations in other states would also include Black Mesa where the highpoint of the mesa itself is actually in New Mexico and Backbone Mountain where the highpoint of the feature is actually in West Virginia and of course Boundary Peak where the summit of the massive is actually in California

The Highpointers Club couldn't care less if you climb Bear Mountain -- even it's probably a nicer hike than Frissell. I've even sent 50 completers back to Frissell because they didn't go the 100 yards or so beyond the summit in Massachusetts to the actual Nutmeg highpoint on the slope (which one completer dubbed "Roger's Peg").

This game is no fun unless you can nitpick especially when the site is so spectacular!

americasroof - Feb 27, 2006 5:33 pm - Hasn't voted

List of U.S. Territories

I see that Mount Lam Lam on Guam is also listed. U.S. territories should probably be kept as a separate list from the state highpoints. A correct state highpoint list should only contain 50 listings.

Here's the official list of territories:

American Samoa
District of Columbia
Guam
Marhsall Territories
Northern Marianas
Palau
Puerto Rico
U.S. Minor Islands
Virgin Islands

The territory list comes from the USGS:
http://geonames.usgs.gov/stategaz/index.html

Again I'm only being nitpicky because the summitpost material is so good and this no doubt will become the official source for all this info.

hgrapid

hgrapid - Feb 28, 2006 3:41 am - Hasn't voted

U.S. territories

Roger,

I don't have the authority to remove those pages from the list. I agree with you, and I would rather they weren't on the list, and we will alert Josh about that. Thanks for your interest in the page. We will get on it.

-Dan

hgrapid

hgrapid - Feb 28, 2006 2:40 pm - Hasn't voted

50 highpoints on list

Roger, there are now only the 50 highpoints.

WingLady

WingLady - Mar 2, 2006 3:05 pm - Voted 10/10

Great job!

Thanks for putting together all this great information about a topic near and dear to our hearts.


Charlie & Diane Winger
http://www.HighpointAdventures.com

hgrapid

hgrapid - Mar 2, 2006 3:28 pm - Hasn't voted

WOW!

I am so glad that Charlie & Diane approve of our page! They wrote the book on highpointing - LITERALLY! Thanks a lot, and please visit the individual pages and give us your input.

JasonH

JasonH - Mar 7, 2006 6:37 am - Voted 10/10

Great Job!

This has got to be one of the most informative and best put together pages I've seen so far. You did a most excellent job on it.

SawtoothSean

SawtoothSean - Mar 7, 2006 7:32 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Great Job!

Thanks for looking and the nice words! It was a great collaborative effort and enjoyable to write up.

Viewing: 1-20 of 44
Return to 'U.S. State Highpoints' main page