Uinta River, East Ridge

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 40.78780°N / 110.3898°W
Additional Information Route Type: Long hike, scramble
Additional Information Time Required: A few days
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 3-4
Sign the Climber's Log

Getting There

Note: These directions were updated as of November 2009 by SP member ZeeJay:

From the intersection of Highway 121 and Highway 40 in the town of Roosevelt in the Uinta Basin, drive west on 200 North (Highway 121). Stay on Highway 121 as it quickly bends to the north. Most junctions are marked with signs, but they are very hard to read in the dark. At mile 9.9, just after the actual mile marker 10 at a stop sign, at the hamlet of Neola go straight towards Uintah Canyon. At mile 16.7 continue straight. At mile 18, turn right to Uintah Canyon. At mile 21.9 turn right. At mile 22.2 turn left just after the bridge. Park at the trailhead at mile 25.6.

Route Description

Breifly put: From the trailhead (7800 feet elevation), follow the trail north along the Uinta River. After about 3 miles, you will reach a junction. You will turn left here, crossing Sheep Bridge and onto the Chain Lakes Trail. Follow the trail, steep in places to the Chain Lakes Basin. Lower Chain Lake is about 7.6 miles from the trailhead and at 10,580 feet elevation. 4th Chain Lake is two miles beyond and at 10,900 feet elevation. Any of these lakes make a fine campsite.

From 4th Chain Lake, take the trail over Roberts Pass to the Lake Atwood Basin, and then over Trailrider Pass to Painter Basin. You then follow the trail all the way to Anderson Pass, but it is faster to make a more direct "bee line" to Anderson Pass from the Trailrider Pass area by crossing Painter Basin. Since the country is open and above timberline, navigation is easy with a map and compass, or GPS.

From Anderson Pass, Climb up the ridge to the northwest. At first there is some minor scrambling until you reach a sub-peak. Scramble around the south side of the sub-peak and climb the east ridge of Henrys Fork Peak. You can climb the spectacular ridge all the way to the summit. If you stay right on the ridgeline, there are some class 4 sections, but if you bypass some of the more rugged sections, the route is class 3+.

This route usually takes 4-5 days, sometimes more. The round trip distance is just over 50 miles.

Note: A few more pics to be added soon.

Essential Gear

Map, compass, and a good pair of boots is needed. This is about a 5 day trip so backpacking gear is needed as well.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.