My wife and I climed to the peak in one hour and 45 minutes. What a beautiful fall day. WE saw many groups on the way down. IT was my 48th 14er and my wifes 43rd. What a great hike for the fall. We stayed at the crystal lodge iN Lake City the night before and Crestd Butte the night of. The following 2 days were the first fall storms. Happy trails!!!!! A must do trail!!!!
Kara and Brian
I went up in the late afternoon, gambling (correctly, fortunately) that the storm clouds were done doing what they do. As a result, I had the place to myself.
I had the summit all to myself for 45 minutes. The only people I saw all day were a few folks on my way down. I'd wanted to do this peak since seeing it from the summit of Redcliff in July and knew a mid-week September day would give me the solitude I was looking for. The aspens along Nellie Creek are in full color making for a beautiful drive. Great day!
Good one for a flatlander. Pretty easy, even with snow on the trails. I've done worse climbs- this one was just a slow trudge. Great views!
Memorable climb to a comfortably large summit with beautiful weather. Exact day of the month escapes me. Climbed with neighbor Rob Ostner.
2:30 up. Nice views on excellent trail with nothing more than class 2. The actual trail ascends the second scree gully that you come to. The views down the face from the summit are worth the walk.
Approached from the north and ascended via west gullies, camped between Uncompahgre and Wetterhorn. Attempted Wetterhorn as well but was foiled by lightning near the prow.
This would have to be my favourite of the 14ers. It's a great hike up, through wonderful open alpine meadows. Next time I will camp enroute as opposed to at the trailhead. But even still, its a great hike.
A great half-day hike. I wish we could have left the camp by 3 am to be at the summit by sunrise. That adventure I'll save for the next time I summit Uncompahgre. I know I'll be back at this one. The views are great. I love the San Juan's.
If you want to see the rest of the photos that I haven't posted on here, click here.
started at 11000' to get 3K' total gain for Wetterhorn. Such a unique mountain with jaw dropping cliffs off the summit. The gully to gain the plateau was a little annoying, but other than that the trail is great!
After reaching the top of wetterhorn we took off for uncompahgre, long hike and by the top i was ready to go back to camp ,but it was great weather and much fun!
Have done this peak twice. Love the dropoffs from the pinicels(sp?) on the ridge south of the summit blocks. A classic.
I really enjoyed this day climb. A group of cowboys
took a huge herd of sheep pass me in the basin east
of the mtn..taking them to summer pasture. Because
of its profile it became one of those mountains I just
"had" to do!! I am so glad I did!
Car camped near the trailhead on Saturday w/ my English Pointer Clayton. Then left camp about 7:30 a.m. and hiked w/ a couple of people from Arizona and New Mexico for a bit, although our paces were different. I summitted at 10:30, but left before 11:00 due to a dark cloud moving in. We were back at the TH by 1:00, making 3 hours up and 2 hours down...pretty good time I thought...Drove back to Evergreen and was home in time for dinner! Nice weekend jaunt
Double bagging of Wetterhorn and Uncompahgre. Weather was getting questionable when I got to Uncompahgre, but decided to tough it out. Made a mad dash coming down and literally ran down the whole way.
Fun climb with Aaron and Alan. The summit view was just unbelievable. Highly recommended!
This was my first time taking a 4x4 trail up with a jeep. Wow, not an experience I'd like to repeat again. The climb was nice. We started late and summited at sunset which offered some great views. Descent to the trailhead gave us an awesome amphitheatre of stars that I wish my camera could capture.
Started at the bottom of the road since our vehicle could not make it up the rough road. This made it a long hike, 15 miles, 5000 feet elevation gain. Weather was perfect with no threatening storms. Left at 6:45 AM, returned by 3 PM. Hike up the road had a couple of slightly difficult water crossings. We took our shoes off for one of them and used a good log for the other one. Trail is good except for one difficult patch around 13800 feet. If you look carefully for the cairned route, it is not too bad, though it is rocky and steep there. On the summit met a friendly chipmunk who tried to hop into my backpack. Nice day, great hike!
Drove almost to the 4wd trailhead and camped for the night. Hiked up in the morning in beautiful and reached the summit in about 2 hours and 45 minutes. Easy climb on good trail for 95% of the way and the other 5% is easy as well. I had the summit to myself the whole time and didn't meet anyone else until I got down to about 13,000 feet.
I would definitely do this again. Awesome views and an awesome mountain.