Unnamed Arch

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 36.61470°N / 118.095°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking, Bouldering, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Difficulty: Moderate Walk
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

This is one of the dozen or so arches in the famed Alabama Hills near Mt. Whitney, CA. It is not quite as easy to get to as Mobius Arch, but isn't too difficult, and most hikers in decent shape should have no trouble hiking to it. It may, however, be a little difficult to find the trailhead and the arch. So print off these directions and good luck!

Getting There

From the stoplight in Lone Pine turn west on the Whitney Portal Road and drive approximately 5.2 miles. Here you will see a small, unmarked dirt road. Turn right on this road and go a very short distance to a fence. Park near the fence and find the opening where a trail goes down to the creek and crosses it on a wooden bridge. If you don't see the bridge, you are in the wrong spot! Try again ;) It took me 3 times to find the correct little dirt road where the trailhead is.

Go down to the creek, cross the bridge, then climb north out of the creek. Follow the trail that tends northwest along the fenceline. Follow this about 1/4 mile to where you see a large cairn. Turn right and follow a use trail northeast towards a small wash. Here you should start to see the arch to the northeast up on the rocky hillside. Keep the arch in view as you start up the hill. There are several use trails to choose from, just choose the one that seems the easiest. The going is steep in spots and you may need to use the rocks as handholds in areas but it isn't very difficult. In total it is about 1 mile to the arch.

Essential Gear

Hiking boots, sunscreen, water, and a camera!

External Links

Bob's Arches #8 is the one that is described here

Owen's Valley Weather Forecast

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.