Upper Ulfasalm, Saldernbach Valley

Upper Ulfasalm, Saldernbach Valley

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 46.77561°N / 11.15284°E
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking, Scrambling, Skiing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Hike and Scramble
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Kleine Kolbenspitze and JaufenkammKleine Kolbenspitze seen from the Kolbenspitze summit

The shortest route to the Kolbenspitze summit leads across the valley of the Saldernbach Cree, which heads up to the Stoanermandl Saddle on the Kolbenspitze East Ridge. It is a steep route along several pastures which are separated by steep steps along the slopes. The final ascent to Stoanermandl is steep and rocky.

In the saddle the route joins the East Ridge Route and heads up to the Kolbenspitze summit by avoiding the rocky summits of Kleine Kolbenspitze along their southern slopes. The final ridge traverse is a bit exposed and the ascent from Stoanermandl often runs across poished rocks.

Getting There

See the main page for the itineraries. Be prepared to take a while until reaching Ulfas. The village is located right in the back of Passeiertal / Val Passira.

Route Description

Jaufenkamm Ridge seen from the Stoanermandl Saddle

  • General data
      - Start altitude: 1470m
      - Summit altitude: 2868m
      - Prevailing exposure: S
      - Type: 4 -5 h over marked paths
      - Protection: None
  • Effort: 1500m elevation gain
  • Power: 3 - strenuous
  • Psyche: 1 easy
  • Orientation: 1 - easy since you always see Stoanermandl

    From Ulfas head out along the road which leads to Ulfasalm (signs). After a few curves a marked trail (3b) heads into the woods to the right of the road, leaving the valley floor. It crosses the forestand soon reaches the meadows of upper Ulfasalm. The Alm buildings, which are in ruin, are reached after a 30min hike along the steep meadows.

    From upper Ulfasalm on the ascent gets rather rocky. Moreover it is but scarcely marked so that you can easily lose the correct path. However, for most of the time you can see the first destination, Stoanermandl, a large cairn (stone man) in a saddle on the Kolbenspitze east ridge.

    As you gain elevation the summits of Kleine Kolbenspitze come into sight and the views towards the Stubai and Sarntal Alps open wide, especially when you reach the elevation of Muthspitze and can ppep across. At Stoanermandl itself you get a perfect glimpse of the whole Hirzer Group of the Sarntal Alps.

    From Stoanermandl a ridge leads across Kleine Kolbenspitze to Kolbenspitze, though the trail does not use the ridge. It avoids Kleine Kolbenspitze by traversing its south slopes and then heading up to the summit ridge, which connects Kleine Kolbenspitze with Kolbenspitze. The topmost part of the ascent is slightly exposed.

    Essential Gear

    Hiking gear is sufficient.

  • Parents 

    Parents

    Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.