Uturuncu Additions and Corrections

Viewing: 1-3 of 3

pbakwin - Mar 24, 2005 4:16 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment



More photos from this trip on my website at:

http://pbakwin.home.comcast.net



Peter

Alpinist

Alpinist - Oct 24, 2011 2:28 pm - Hasn't voted

Possible volcanic activity

http://www.summitpost.org/phpBB3/super-vocano-growing-rapidly-t60204.html

matthias.pabst

matthias.pabst - Apr 14, 2014 2:13 pm - Voted 7/10

From Tupiza

I did it in January 2014 as part of a Tour from Tupiza. The regular tour visits the national park Eduardo Averoa (where Uturuncu and Licancabur are situated) and the saltflats in Uyuni. The normal trip takes 4 days when starting in Tupiza and ends in Uyuni on the last day.

With 4 friends we got a tour to include Uturuncu and Licancabur, with an extra day for each of them. For Uturuncu the driver also figured as our "guide". That said he wanted to take as to the lower east summit and didn't have shoes to continue when walking through a little snow... Anyway the climb is not technical and route finding was not very hard neither.
We started at roughly 5200m at 7am and reached the top at 11am roughly. Another group took approximately an hour more. Back to the starting point is then 90 minutes to two hours. As we were not that tired at that point we decided to walk back to Quetano Chico (25km according to the guide) where we arrived at 6:30pm.

Climbing this mountain as part of an Uyuni tour is in my opinion the easiest way, as the distances are pretty big and all of it has to be covered on dirt roads, which can be a problem in rainy season. The cost is also moderate at roughly 260USD for 6 days all included in 2014.

Viewing: 1-3 of 3
Return to 'Uturuncu' main page