Valle de Lechada

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 43.02380°N / 4.7299°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking, Mountaineering, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: Class 3
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-up
Additional Information Grade: I
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

After the construction of the track of Valle de Lechada this is the shortest itinerary to reach the summit of Peña Prieta.

Trailhead: end of track of Lechada (1950).
Slope: 650 meters.
Time to summit: 2h.

Getting There

Portilla de la Reina (1200m):
Between the km-111 and km-112 of road N-621 from Riaño (19km), before the village of Portilla de la Reina, it's the access to the forest track of 11km of valle de la Lechada (1950m). This is the shortest way to reach the summit but your car will suffer.

Route Description

Tres ProvinciasTres Provincias

We walk to left (east) to the little col with the little lake (2050m). We follow the cairns of left (NE) and we reach the bottom of the Cubil de Can with a lot of stones surrounding the lake. We leave the rocks for the left side to a grassy terrain (important slope with snow and risk of avalanches in winter). We walk in diagonal to SE to reach little by little the upper side of the ridge of Cubil de Can near of the last ramp to the peak Tres Provincias (2496m, 1h30min). For this peak we descent to the col with Peña Prieta and across the narrow path among the stones we reach the upper col between the two summits. In the last meters we need the use of the hands in the stones (easy, but exposed with snow) to reach the summit of Peña Prieta (2539m).

Essential Gear

In winter (november to february) and early in the season (march-april) is necessary the use of crampons and ice-axe. A good option is the climb with skis to Tres Provincias but generally you must to leave there the skis and take crampons for the access to Peña Prieta.

External Links

Add External Links text here.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.