via Crow Creek Lakes

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 42.72400°N / 110.7763°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 1-2
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

See the getting there section on the main page for driving directions to the start of this route.

Route Description

Round Trip Distance : 15 mi (from the start of Crow Creek Lakes trailhead)
Elevation Gain : 3600 ft (from the start of Crow Creek Lakes trailhead)

Hike OverviewOverview of the hike highlighted in yellow

From Crow Creek Lakes Trail4 miles from the trailhead

North ridge of Mount FitzpatrickRidge up to Mount Fitzpatrick


Once at the Crow Creek Lakes trailhead, there will be a sign indicating Crow Creek Lakes are 6 miles away. Follow the trail as it immediately crosses two small streams then onto a foot bridge that will cross Greys River. Follow the trail as it enters the canyon. Soon after entering the canyon the trail will cross Crow Creek. Depending on the water level in the creek the crossing can be difficult. If you don’t feel like crossing the creek stay to the right on the steep slope and continue for approximately a tenth a mile to where the trail crosses back onto the right side of the creek. The trail stays on this side for the remainder of the hike.

After just under 4 miles of hiking you will reach a trail intersection, take a right and head towards Crow Creek Lakes. After this intersection the trail begins to gain elevation and starts to head south, a picture from near here. The low point seen in the center right of the picture is where you will eventually want to be. Continue following the trail as it gains elevation heading south towards a saddle. Just before the saddle the trail breaks off to the left and heads up the cliffs to your left. Follow the trail up the cliffs, to where you will be above the cliffs seen in the previous picture. Once above the cliffs the trail then begins to head north gaining and losing some elevation as you approach Lower Crow Creek Lake.

Now you are at Lower Crow Creek Lake, the trail dies out, and you have about 1.5 miles to the summit of Mount Fitzpatrick. If you stay to the right of the lake about 100 feet above it, you will find a small trail that leads you westward to Upper Crow Creek Lake. From Upper Crow Creek Lake, Mount Fitzpatrick will come into view and you will have a good view of your route up. Following the small drainage again westward, where the scree meets the trees in the right side of the picture, follow it up to where you gain the closer ridge seen in the previous picture. Following this ridge up and to the south, you will have about 800 feet to gain, then head west for a few hundred feet and you will be at the summit.

Essential Gear

Make sure to have plenty of water and appropriate backpacking gear if staying at the lakes. A reminder this is bear country and a very remote location.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.