Via Edith Lake

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 45.98630°N / 113.4596°W
Additional Information Route Type: hike/scramble
Additional Information Time Required: A long day
Additional Information Difficulty: class 2
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

You can reach the Pintler Range and Warren Peak by traveling down I-90 toward Missoula until you hit Route 1. Then take Route 1 to rt-38(AKA-skalkaho pass) Take rt-38 for 9 miles until you get to Moose Lake Road. Take a left on Moose Lake Road, (a dirt road) and drive 16 miles to the end of the road, where you will find the trailheads. After you park your car, you take the trailhead to the left, (back towards the road) which leads to a long gradual trail that goes up 1,000 feet to Edith Lake or Johnson Lake. The primary trail to Warren Peak is near Edith Lake. Most people hike the roughly 5 miles to Edith Lake and camp there for the night.


Route Description

At Edith Lake:
On the same side of the lake that the trail comes in, you can take a left and go through the woods. Do not go around the lake. As soon as you get to the lake, walk left, and walk on that side of the lake for 100 yards, then go left, up through the woods. There is no trail at this point, but I suggest that you start up the mountain at this point and you will find that the only way to go is UP. You climb a few hundred feet through woods, and then you'll be on class 2 rocks all the way up to 9200 feet. Go up and to the right. Once you get above tree line, you need to traverse a smaller peak, which is also the false summit. Keep traversing the smaller peak until you reach the saddle of Warren Peak. It will not come into view until you get to the other side of the false summit. After that, you go straight up to the summit, which will take anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour during the summer months.

Warren Peak  photo_id=88177
Returning to Edith Lake



Essential Gear

If you camp, camp in groups. Wild animals, including bear, moose, and mountain lion frequent the area. The hike, round trip, is 13 miles, and very possible to do in one day during the summer. In between October and May, you will probably need crampons and an ice ax. The lower sections of the mountain are hiked, but the upper sections, (i.e. everything above Edith Lake) are all class 2 in the summer. From Edith Lake, you have more than 2,500 feet of climbing in about 2 miles.

Storms and lightning are frequent, and after it rains, the rocks become very slippery. Bring strong, sturdy hiking shoes, and make sure they don't get filled with rocks. If you wear sneakers, you are asking for trouble.

Miscellaneous Info

If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.