Via FS 300Q

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 38.92100°N / 104.9467°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Difficulty: Short Class 2+ walk-up
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

This route is very short with minimal elevation gain and requires only a small amount of easy off-trail navigation. The route follows a short, rugged dirt road near the base of UN 9620. A brief off-trail hike through timber is topped off by a pleasant scramble over and around large boulders and slabs of Pikes Peak Granite.

Roundtrip Mileage: Less than 1 mile
Elevation Gain: 125 feet

Getting There

From with Garden of the Gods Park

In dry conditions, high clearance is recommended for this dirt road, but a passenger car with be sufficient. In wet or snowy conditions, do not attempt Rampart Range Road without 4-wheel-drive and good tires.

Rampart Range Road driving conditionsRampart Range Road driving conditions
04 Apr 2009
  • Locate the dirt Rampart Range Road and turn west.
  • Follow Rampart Range Road for roughly 12 miles.
  • Keep an eye out for the Ridge Crest Overlook (on the west side of the road).
  • Very soon after passing the Overlook, FS Q300 will appear on the right (east side of the road).
  • Pull into FS Q300 and park.
Rampart Range Road driving conditionsRampart Range Road is narrow and wash-boarded with heavy traffic
04 Apr 2009



Parking for UN 9620
Click here for a PDF Map from Garden of the Gods for instructions on getting to the park.
UN 9620: Signpost for FS 300Q

Route Description

UN 9620 via FS 300QUN 9620 via FS 300Q

  • Begin heading northeast on FS 300Q.

  • UN 9620 will come into view eventually as a granite outcropping to the northeast.

  • Follow the road until it begins heading downhill, then leave the road and begin heading up through the trees and rocks.

  • After some initial easy scrambling around and over granite boulders, you will reach a relatively level area with a rustic campsite.

  • At this point the summit will loom almost directly to the north.

  • Climb your way up some grippy granite slabs and look for the weakness to gain the final summit boulders.




Click on images to enlarge and learn more.

Essential Gear

  • Trail map (Trails Illustrated #137 (Pikes Peak, CaƱon City) would meet most needs)

  • Compass

  • Trekking pole(s)

  • Sturdy hiking boots with grippy soles and stiff ankle support

  • Snowshoes after a heavy snowfall

  • Water and snacks

  • A camera to save memories of the high country views

  • First aid kit

  • Other standard backcountry essentials


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

UN 9620Routes