via Trap Park

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 40.55702°N / 105.82143°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking, Scrambling
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Moderate
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

From the Trap Park Trailhead, follow the Trap Park trail up to Trap Park and then halfway through the park (approx. 40.53626;-105.83792). From here there are two subroutes you can take: an easier, but less scenic route OR a harder and more scenic route. Personally, I would advise taking one up and the other down.

Subroute 1: The Easiest Route

Head up to the saddle to the southwest of Flat Top Mountain (40.52698;-105.82953) and then follow the ridgeline to the southwest up to the summit.

Subroute 2: The Harder Route

Continue heading up through the park on the trail to the far end. The trail continues for a ways, but eventually dwindles down to nothing. Continue to follow the base of the Trap Creek drainage up above timberline to the saddle (40.50908;-105.85724) between Table Iron (12,060') and Iron Mountain. From the saddle, follow the western ridge up to the summit. The ridge is somewhat steep and has a lot of loose rock and gravel, with steep drop offs on either side. It's not really very dangerous, but it isn't easy for people with a fear of heights. All along this route, you have nice views to the west of the rugged Never Summer Range.
Add Getting There text here.

Sorry, no map

I don't have National Geographic Maps yet, so I don't have a route map. Sorry.
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.