Viewing: 1-20 of 32
12
PeteThompson

PeteThompson - Dec 21, 2013 2:04 pm - Voted 10/10

Interesting

What an unusual walk.

ZeeJay

ZeeJay - Dec 21, 2013 2:24 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Interesting

Yes, the novelty was appealing.

Matt Lemke

Matt Lemke - Dec 21, 2013 10:35 pm - Voted 10/10

Very interesting..

For some reason I thought you could drive to Antelope Island and that it was a huge island but then I looked at the map and realized I was thinking of the wrong island! Very interesting trip for sure!

ZeeJay

ZeeJay - Dec 22, 2013 8:50 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Very interesting..

Thanks, as a comparison Fremont Island is about 5x1.7 miles and Antelope Island is about 15x5.5 miles.

One thing I didn't make clear is that while Antelope Island has a lot of stuff on it, Fremont Island is totally barren except for a shack.

Matt Lemke

Matt Lemke - Dec 22, 2013 1:35 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Very interesting..

OH You visited Fremont Island...the one without a bridge to it...just re-read the first part and found out lol

silversummit

silversummit - Dec 22, 2013 12:53 pm - Voted 10/10

A different kind of trip! I love it!

Also didn't know that you are originally from Pittsburgh; my relatives are all from within an hour of that city (Indiana, Kittanning etc.)

Anyway, I enjoyed reading about your quest and success!

Happy Holidays!
Kathy

ZeeJay

ZeeJay - Dec 23, 2013 7:57 am - Hasn't voted

Re: A different kind of trip! I love it!

Thanks Kathy, Happy Holidays to you too!

boyblue

boyblue - Dec 24, 2013 12:19 am - Voted 10/10

Loved It!

What a unique trip! A really enjoyable read. The pictures reveal a hauntingly beautiful land(sea)scape.
-Gordon

ZeeJay

ZeeJay - Dec 24, 2013 8:45 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Loved It!

Thanks! We happened to fly over it today and it was very cool seeing it from the air, especially since it was crisp and clear. The land bridge seemed to have many gaps, but when I checked the water level, it hadn't risen.

Matthew Van Horn

Matthew Van Horn - Dec 26, 2013 3:56 pm - Hasn't voted

visited twice

Hi Judy-

I was in the group of trail runners that went out to the island twice a few weeks ago. The first time was on a rainy, cold Saturday morning. We parked at the marina on the island, ran the 1.6 miles to the sand bar, and ran across over mostly dry sand. We observed the many holes dug into the island shore by pigs, but we did not see any pigs. We found the gravesite but that is as far as we explored. A storm blew in as we ran back and we got our feet wet in an inch of cold water most of the way. A few weeks later we went back out, and we followed the track of your pig! It was heading back to the island from the causeway. We found the hunters cabin and the truck. We went up to Castle Rock and found Kit Carson's Cross. It is a few feet above eye level on the East side of the rock. In your photo it would be on the right edge of the photo, but is not visible in the shot. Again, we did not see any pigs. The same day Greg J. went out later and saw a small aircraft land on the strip at the top of the island. when I heard some runners were going out, it was too weird of an adventure for me to pass up.

ZeeJay

ZeeJay - Dec 26, 2013 8:14 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: visited twice

It was definitely a different kind of adventure. I wish I could have skied it. Thanks for telling me where the cross was.

Fleshj27

Fleshj27 - Dec 27, 2013 8:53 pm - Voted 10/10

Just Plain Cool

Okay...that's just plain cool. I drive past that Island everyday and have been wondering A: what is out there and B: how to get there (I was thinking small boat). Anyway, thanks for filling out the details!

ZeeJay

ZeeJay - Dec 27, 2013 11:56 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Just Plain Cool

Thanks, we are hoping to go to Carrington Island next.

ZeeJay

ZeeJay - Dec 28, 2013 8:32 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Nice Trip Report

Thanks! The Golden Spike Monument is on my mental list of things to do.

Moogie737

Moogie737 - Dec 28, 2013 10:34 am - Voted 10/10

Keep 'em coming!

One more fascinating trip report to add to our collection. It sounds like an adventure for at least two people, not a solo thing. Great pics, too. Looking forward to the next island narrative!

ZeeJay

ZeeJay - Dec 28, 2013 8:34 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Keep 'em coming!

Thanks Michael! I wish you could have come. For sure, this is one trip that I was very glad to have some one else with me.

markhallam

markhallam - Dec 28, 2013 12:00 pm - Voted 10/10

What a great adventure!

And rather different to 'usual' SP trips. Congratulations on pulling it off and for the very engaging account and photos.

ZeeJay

ZeeJay - Dec 28, 2013 8:38 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: What a great adventure!

Thanks, yes it was definitely unusual. I like living in Utah because there are so many different types of outdoor trips that one can do.

Deltaoperator17

Deltaoperator17 - Dec 28, 2013 6:22 pm - Voted 10/10

Very Cool

Very cool Z!

ZeeJay

ZeeJay - Dec 28, 2013 8:39 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Very Cool

Thanks D17!

Viewing: 1-20 of 32
12
Return to 'Walkin' on Water' main page