WANDERING on Aosta Valley by SNOWSHOES

WANDERING on Aosta Valley by SNOWSHOES

Page Type Page Type: Album
Additional Information Image Type(s): Hiking, Skiing, Wildlife

Rackets OVERVIEW




This Region with its fourteen main valleys and its many walloons provides ample opportunity to conduct business with this "new" tool you are snowshoeing. New so to speak, because as always, and even before the skiing, the man he used to cross the mountains into Alps; certainly not for sport or fun ends in themselves, but in order to move from one village to another

(do not forget that once the pastures was inhabited throughout the year, and indeed emphasizes the Abbé Henry "Guide de la Valpelline" 1911 and 1925 in this area up to altitudes of 2500 metres "Avant l' arrivée des Americains")

and for matters strictly related to work, thanks to the use of large sleds to transport timber or mineral. They were old, heavy and rudimentary tools made ​​of wood and tied to the boot with small hemp ropes. We have tested in the Sixties, even though they had already had an industrial production and were distributed in the sporting goods stores and were certainly not the snowshoes used by "paysans", with really poor results so much that soon fell by the wayside. The technique was somewhat backward , the "floating" assured only over the snow already transformed (but there were enough already just boots) while in the fresh snow not only created the same, but complicated things with an annoying "sinking" which made recalcitrant as mules. Up to that patience was exhausted and took off just getting an extra weight on the backpack In those days, the Winter Mountaineering was granted only to those who knew skiing and with good technique, as incidentally requires the fresh snow. Otherwise foot "floating" with only boots and refining the sense of knowing in a very refined way to distinguish the layers of snow distinguishing colors, gradients, and, dare I say, even the smallest noise that the return passage on the same record. You had to be careful observers, listeners and evaluators. It was not enough.




The arrival of this new equipment with plastic materials, supported by metal alloy including a small harpoon inserted into the structure and stick resistant and safe, relaunched this primitive tool also revolutionizing the way, but also the time to exit. In fact, over the last twenty years it has become fashionable and often where groups meet once did not find absolutely no one until the beginning of Summer. We have adapted ourselves and, I would say, pleasantly. Do not forget that, like all tools, this technique requires the use and progression, not knowing involves substantial risks, especially in steep hard snow and frost. Also you should know that in case of a fall or simple slip becomes absolutely the same can not be controlled because it tends to cross his legs without practically no chance (personal experience) reactivity, is certainly, in this situation, somewhat more dangerous than the crampons. On the other hand allows for day trips where, as mentioned, only the skis allow it, and indeed the size of that facilitate the passage in tight places or simply paths with very dense wooded areas.

"Rackets Horizons",

by Antonio




Questa Regione con le sue quattordici valli principali ed i suoi innumerevoli valloni offre notevoli possibilità di svolger attività con questo "nuovo" attrezzo qualie sono le racchette da neve. Nuovo per modo di dir, perché da sempre, e prima ancora degli sci, l'uomo lo ha utilizzato per attraversare le montagne dentro le Alpi; non certamente per sport o divertimento fini a se stessi, bensì per potersi spostare da un villaggio all'altro

(non dimentichiamo che una volta l'alpe era abitata per tutto l'anno; anzi, sottolinea l'Abbé Henry in "Guide de la Valpelline", 1911 e 1925, in questa località fino alle altitudini di 2500 metri: "Avant l'arrivéé des Americains")

e per questioni strettamente inerenti al lavoro, anche grazie all'uso di slittoni per trasportare legname o minerale. Eran vecchi, pesanti e rudimentali attrezzi costruiti in legno e legati allo scarpone con funicelle di canapa. Le abbiamo sperimentate negli Anni Sessanta, anche se avevano già avuto una produzione industriale ed erano distribuite nei negozi di articoli sportivi e non erano certamente le racchette da neve utilizzate dai "paysans", con veramente scarsi risultati tanto che presto caddero nel dimenticatoio. La tecnica era alquanto arretrata, il "galleggiamento" assicurato soltanto sopra la neve già trasformata (ma lì erano sufficienti già i soli scarponi) mentre nella neve fresca non solo non creavano lo stesso, bensì complicavano le cose con un fastidioso "affondamento" che rendeva recalcitranti come dei muli. Fino a che la pazienza si esauriva e si toglievano ottenendo solo un peso in più sullo zaino. A quei tempi l'Alpinismo Invernale era concesso soltanto a chi sapeva praticare lo sci e con una buona tecnica, come daltronde richiede la neve fresca. Altrimenti a piedi "galleggiando" con i soli scarponi ed affinando quel senso di sapere distinguere in modo raffinatissimo gli strati della neve distinguendo colori, sfumature ed, oserei dire, anche i più piccoli rumori di ritorno che il passaggio sulla medesima registrasse. Si doveva essere attenti osservatori, ascoltatori e valutatori. E non bastava.

WANDERING on Aosta Valley by SNOWSHOES
WANDERING on Aosta Valley by SNOWSHOES
WANDERING on Aosta Valley by SNOWSHOES
WANDERING on Aosta Valley by SNOWSHOES
WANDERING on Aosta Valley by SNOWSHOES




L'arrivo di questa nuova attrezzatura con materiali in plastica, supportati da metalli in lega leggera compreso un piccolo rampone inserito nella struttura ed attacchi resistenti e sicuri, hanno rilanciato questo primitivo attrezzo rivoluzionando anche il modo, ma pure i tempi per le uscite. Infatti negli ultimi venti anni é diventato di moda e spesso incontri comitive dove una volta non trovavi assolutamente nessuno fino agli inizi dell'Estate. Ci siamo adeguati anche noi e, direi, piacevolmente. Non bisogna dimenticare che, come tutti gli attrezzi, anche questo richiede una tecnica d'uso e di progressione; non saperlo comporta notevoli rischi, soprattutto nei tratti ripidi con neve dura e gelata. Inoltre si deve sapere che in caso di caduta o semplice scivolata lo stesso diventa assolutamente incontrollabile poiché tende ad incrociare gli arti inferiori senza in pratica nessuna possibilità (esperienza personale) di reattività; é sicuramente, in simile situazione, alquanto più pericoloso rispetto ai ramponi. Per contro consente di effettuare gite laddove, come detto, soltanto gli sci lo permetterebbero; anzi le dimensioni del medesimo facilitano il passaggio in posti stretti ed angusti oppure semplicemente nei percorsi con aree boschive molto fitte.


"From a balcony by snowshoes",

by emilius



Suffering snowshoesless




In support of the above, we give some old image of what it meant to tackle the mountain at the beginning of Spring with the support of snowshoes made ​​of wood. Often you had to remove and continuation in the snow, which now gave way to the first rays of the sun, became hard, heavy and tiring. There was nothing left to take away, and it was not a simple task with the hands that froze in untangling the cords, loading up a backpack with an additional extra weight, then he went so "nature" continuing to sink more than before for both the weight for the sun in the meantime inclement advancing. They often came close to despair, and also by varying the chosen destination, you do not wait to reach a dry putting hands and feet on the rock. A real pain, which did not grant respite until arrival at the Top. It was no less the path on the way down that big often forced to "swim" in the snow ...
Otherwise it was resorting to a simple wooden stick that served as a prop. A prop that brought to mind the old "alpenstocks" and that brought us back to mind the legendary feats of those early Heroes and their tribulations genuine to win the mountains, even in the harsh and severe winter seasons. But all this was not enough to stop the desire to escape their youthful enthusiasms: although again promising to ourselves that this was the very last time, and then, hopelessly, we repeated always looking for a new adventure. Because this time was definitely in a different way and, certainly, with better outcome. So "we lost" several first ascents in winter, others realize that in the next two decades and certainly "driest".
It was the beginning of each new Mountaineering season ...

To DARD s POINT from DARD s VALLEY near PONTEILLES ALP & WATERFALL 1966
Em s  and Surroundings EMO & SUGG from Pian FELINA on foot to Mount FALLE RE
 Punta del Dard almost in Winter
Chamolé s Coastline Winter Summit
Near the Chamolé s Lake and Testa Nera


A supporto di quanto sopra espresso, diamo qualche vecchia immagine di cosa volesse dire affrontare la montagna agli inizi della Primavera con il supporto delle racchette da neve in legno di quei tempi. Spesso le si doveva togliere ed il proseguimento nella neve alta, che ormai cedeva ai primi raggi del sole, diventava duro, pesante e faticoso. Non rimaneva che toglierle, e non era un'operazione semplice con le mani che si ghiacciavano nel districare le cordicelle, caricandole sopra lo zaino con un ulteriore aggravio di peso; poi si proseguiva in modo "nature", continuando ad affondare più di prima sia per il peso che per il sole che nel frattempo inclemente avanzava. Spesso si arrivava vicino alla disperazione e, variando anche la meta prescelta, non si vedeva l'ora di raggiungere un posto asciutto mettendo mani e piedi sulla roccia. Un vero tormento, che non concedeva tregua fino all'arrivo in Cima. E non era da meno il percorso durante la discesa che spesso obbligava a grandi "nuotate" nella neve ...
Altrimenti si faceva ricorso ad un semplice bastone in legno che serviva come puntello. Un puntello che faceva venire in mente i vecchi "alpenstocks" e che ci riportava in mente le leggendarie imprese di quei primi Eroi e le loro tribolazioni genuine per vincere le montagne, anche nelle ostiche e severe stagioni invernali. Ma tutto questo non era sufficiente ad arrestare il desiderio di evasione proprio degli entusiasmi giovanili: pur ripromettendoci che questa fosse proprio l'ultima volta; poi, inguaribilmente, si ripartiva sempre alla ricerca d'una nuova avventura. Perché questa volta andava sicuramente in maniera diversa e, certamente, con miglior esito. Così "perdemmo" diverse prime salite invernali, che altri realizzeranno nel ventennio successivo e sicuramente "più asciutto".
Era l'inizio di ogni nuova stagione Alpinistica ...


"Horizons laboriously paths",

by Antonio



An OLD way to go




You had to know how to evaluate, walk, jump over stones no longer covered by snow and even run over the snow that became different from day to day and from hour to hour, as a cabinet above the soil and rock . A foreign body from a few days the sun and the wind would have completely transformed by diluting or sweeping the whole, or distorting the same with a fresh snowfall that would have erased any trace. Yours, too, as if the place you had never been passed, and you should not pass, because, in the end, you were a foreign body even more. A small ant, a louse that, occasionally, the mountain felt compelled to move away, perhaps by a small landslide or an avalanche. An old way to go, facing the mountain with few and scarce means which were used to dab at the moment critical situations and the damp cold and intense. So to make a winter ascent had to get you off the same as the inclement weather, with the passing of time, completely changed. Then, if the day was generous, it gave you a flash of blue allowing you to wring the socks in wool soaked now and "unfreeze" feet not felt more like your ...
Otherwise, you had to seek shelter and, after having eaten hastily, in the same way you prepare to get off his feet again bathed until the "cic, Ciack" became the reason to be happy all day long. there was no stocking parts that could remedy the situation. Removed the first, it "soaked" also the latter, so that was not even useful to the desired parts.
Gradually coming to the resignation ...

In EMILIUS S S and Sourround. EMO SUGG For VICTORY FLIGHT
NONA s BECCA WINTER December 23th, 1977  Arriving
<font color=green><b>NONA s BECCA</FONT> <FONT COLOR=BLUE>After Martelli and Amilcare, third WINTER ASCENT</B></FONT>
<b><font color=blue>TESTA NERA</FONT> at <font color=blue>WINTER</FONT> 1968</B>
Emilius s in the Summit ... Before the AVALANCHE 1980


Dovevi saper valutare, camminare, saltar di pietra in pietra su quelle che il sole aveva asciugate ed anche correre sopra la neve che diventava diversa di giorno in giorno e d'ora in ora, come un corpo mobile sopra il terreno e la roccia. Un corpo estraneo che da lì a pochi giorni il sole ed il vento avrebbero completamente trasformato diluendo o spazzando il tutto; oppure stravolgendolo con una nuova nevicata che avrebbe cancellato ogni orma. Anche la tua, come se da quel posto tu non fossi mai transitato e non dovessi passare, perché, alla fine, eri un corpo ancor più estraneo. Una piccola formica, un pidocchio che, ogni tanto, la montagna si sentiva in dovere di allontanare, magari tramite una slavinetta o una valanga. Un vecchio modo d'andar, affrontando la montagna con pochi e scarsi mezzi che servivan a tamponare momentaneamente le situazioni critiche ed il freddo umido ed intenso. Così per fare una salita invernale dovevi farti largo nella stessa mentre il tempo inclemente, con il passar dell'ore, cambiava completamente. Poi, s'era in giornata generosa, ti dava uno sprazzo di blù cocedendoti di strizzare i calzettoni in lana ormai fradici e di "scongelare" i piedi che non sentivi più come tuoi ...
Altrimenti dovevi cercare un riparo e, dopo aver mangiato frettolosamente, in altrettanto modo prepararati a scendere coi piedi che di nuovo si bagnavano fino a che il "cic, ciàck" diveniva il lieto motivo di tutta la giornata. Non esisteva calza di ricambio che potesse ovviare alla situazione. Tolte le prime, si "inzuppavano" anche le seconde, tanto che non era neppure utile effettuare il desiderato ricambio.
A poco a poco ti rassegnavi ...


"But with snowshoes is another thing ...",

by emilius



You can draw a new path or a sign to stop and admire the Nature




You can draw a new path to your liking, perhaps in the form of heart or, more simply, to rest at a sign indicating a goal achieved but also spurs you to achieve more, not too far away or far away. It depends on your Fancy and your desire to expand in new environments illuminated by the sun. Looking at the horizon you will see the white expanses of snow going to be confused with the great glaciers on which the sun has carved rivulets gleaming. All this in contrast to the dark forest that gradually they immerse themselves with the underlying green grasslands and showing how small dots scattered on the large balconies of the Valley, marked by the passage of the ancient Glacier Balteo, while small white churches and bell towers peep here and there. Lower flows As the strip of silver of Dora Baltea River that you see to collect water from all sides, while shining waterfalls appear almost out of nowhere. Across countries and small villages you drink to old springs inserted into small squares between old houses and old "rascards" wood with their stone base.

"Marvellous combinations favoring the Fancy",

by emilius




All the wonders that if not in a hurry you can better appreciate, perhaps by leaning to a wooden fence. Old wagons to haul lumber, or just their large colored wheels so colorful and flamboyant, and now only ornaments on the wall of the houses, you back in time past, when it represented life in its everyday life. Still some small stone fireplace and furnace few blackened remains of the old open-air signal and, if you know you look carefully, you still see the old woman who prepares the daily meal or the farmer who heats up in flames at the close of a long day of work and effort.
Admiring everything, Snowshoes will transport you through the entire Valley of Aosta.

"New Artistic Horizons",

by emilius




Puoi disegnare a tuo piacimento un nuovo percorso, magari a forma di cuore oppur, più semplicemente, riposarti presso un cartello che indica una meta raggiunta ma che inoltre ti sprona a raggiungerne altre, neppure troppo lontane o molto distanti. Dipende dalla tua Fantasia e dal tuo desiderio di spaziare in ambienti illuminati da un nuovo sole. Guardando l'orizzonte vedrai bianche distese di neve che vanno a confondersi con grandi ghiacciai sui quali il sole ha scavato rigagnoli luccicanti. Il tutto in contrasto con le scure foreste che gradualmente vanno ad immergersi con le sottostanti verdeggianti praterie e che evidenziano come piccoli punti sparsi sui grandi balconi della Valle, segnati dal passaggio dell'antico Ghiacciaio Balteo, mentre piccole chiese e bianchi campanili occhieggiano qua e là. Più in basso scorre il natro d'argento della Dora Baltea che tu vedi raccogliere acque da ogni dove, mentre lucenti cascate appaiono quasi dal nulla. Attraversando paesi e piccoli villaggi tu bevi a vecchi fontanili inseriti in piccole piazze tra antiche case e vecchi "rascards" in legno con la loro base in pietra.

Mont Mary and Becca di Viou
Forno al centro del Villaggio
Carri di
Altro scorcio di Meod
Cima Longhede da N- NW all Alpe Martsaouchy 1400m


Tutte meraviglie che se non vai di fretta potrai meglio apprezzare, magari appoggiandoti ad una staccionata di legno. Vecchi carri per trasportare il legname, oppure soltanto le loro grandi ruote colorate in modo variopinto e sgargiante ed ormai solo ornamenti appesi al muro delle case, ti riportano indietro nel tempo passato quando invece rappresentavano la vita nella sua quotidianità. Ancora qualche piccolo camino in pietra e qualche fornace annerita all'aperto segnalano vecchie vestigia e, se sai osservare con attenzione, vedi ancora la vecchia che prepara il pasto quotidiano od il contadino che si riscalda presso le fiamme al tramonto di una lunga giornata di lavoro e fatica.
Tutto ciò ammirando, le Racchette da neve ti trasporteranno attraverso l'intera Valle di Aosta.


"Towards places near or far favoring the Fantasy",

by emilius



Vagabonds of the Alp with snowshoes & other

Grivola...
Towards Court de Bard (2261 m.)
RAN ... Moussaillon-Delà-Glacier East Watershed 2006
Travel to Dondena Hamlet
From  Pass to the Court de Bard


But there was a taste of 'Adventure and then there were the Friends with whom a little joking and a little while joking quarreling maybe you saw him felt in the small radio that you carried around, perhaps because you wanted to get away from reality, but with the fear of doing it excessively. So the Emilio got angry and went behind the rocks, a little higher up the picture. Who cares! Here we have coffee, grappa, and in front there is a wonderful panorama. We get quite a makeshift shelter with stones near here and we get to take this beautiful sunshine. It's cold, the thermometer marked 24 below zero! To the Devil, if not spring we also have a good bottle of wine helps Commons, as they did in the old expeditions. But that was people who knew how to live. Even in the mountains. Let me put it in plain sight and we taste her first with the eyes. You'll see that Emilio returns, ah, if he comes back. All the sheep back to the fold.
Why then is also the time that you will need to look at the sky seeing only sad that the mountains even more gray clouds are slowly wrapping.
Maybe you do not need anymore Snowshoes ...

User Profile Image
Attt...acks and  onslaughts to School in Hevergnes
The Profane...
<b>NEW YEAR s EVE</B> in <b>SENEVE  Alp</b> (2200m) 2006
<b><font color=RED>LOYAL</FONT> FRIENDS & <FONT COLOR=RED><I>LOVERS</B></FONT></I>


Ma esisteva il gusto dell'Avventura e poi c'eran gli Amici coi quali un poco scherzavi ed un pò baruffavi, magari ascoltando la radiolina che ti portavi dietro, forse perché desideravi allontanarti non troppo dalla Realtà, ma con la paura di farlo in maniera eccessiva. Così l'Emilio s'arrabbiava e se nìandava dietro le rocce, un poco più in alto per fotografare. Chi se ne frega! Noi qui abbiamo caffé, buona grappa e davanti c'é un panorama meraviglioso. Ci facciamo un bel riparo di fortuna con le pietre qui vicino e ci mettiamo a prendere questo bel sole. Che freddo, il termometro segna 24 sotto lo zero! Al Diavolo, se non molla noi abbiamo anche una buona bottiglia di vinello di scorta, come facevano nelle antiche spedizioni. Ma quell'era gente che sapeva viver. Anche in montagna. Mettiamola ben in vista e gustiamola dapprima cogli occhi. Vedrai che l'Emilio ritorna, ah, se ritorna. Tutte le pecorelle tornan all'ovile.
Perché poi verrà anche quel tempo che dovrai guardare il Cielo vedendo solo tristi montagne che le nuvole ancora più grige piano piano stanno avvolgendo.
Forse non ti servono più le Racchette da neve ...

"Horizons without Rackets",

by emilius





Comments

No comments posted yet.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.