War Trail Along Hochgränten Pass

War Trail Along Hochgränten Pass

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 46.69010°N / 12.44650°E
Additional Information Route Type: Hike
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-Up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

The ascent of the mountain starts at the small village of Hollbruck, which you reach from Kartitsch in the Tyrol Gailtal Valley. Follow the "Getting There" Instructions on the main page

Route Description

Demut photo_id=117893

  • General data
      - Start altitude: 1360mm
      - Summit altitude: 2591m
      - Prevailing exposition: N
      - Type: 1h 30min over forest roads, 2h over paths
      - Protection: marked but without security
  • Effort: 1200m of altitude gain, 10km distance to the summit.
  • Power: 1 - no difficulties
  • Psyche: 1 - easy
  • Orientation: 1 - easy

    This is the normal route ascent to Demut. It follows a forest road for most of the distance. The trail is marked 467. At an altitude of 1525m you can choose between the road and a short cutting trail which runs close to the Hollbrucker Bach Creek. Both recombine at the Ochsenboden Alm at 1955m.

    From here on the ascent trail (again marked 467) heads west to climb for a bivouac at 2300m. The trail now heads south-west, directly to Hochgränten Pass (war cemetery, heart shaped lake). From the pass turn east along a well worn pass that leads to the western face of Demut. It traverses, rather crisscrosses, the slopes of the mountain, more or less heading in north-westerly direction. There is one exposed spot where rails have been placed to bridge a gap with e a steel net to walk upon.

    The trail soon turns east again, touching a WW I position which still shows shelves created by the soldiers 90 years ago! The path descends to a shoulder in which a fort from WW I times has been eaten away by time and weather. A ridge with trenches to its eastern side follows and soon you'll reach the Demut summit.
    Demut photo_id=117890Demut photo_id=117889Demut photo_id=117887

    Essential Gear

    Just hiking gear, there are no difficulties.
  • Parents 

    Parents

    Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.