Viewing: 1-20 of 42
Joseph Bullough

Joseph Bullough - May 17, 2006 2:42 pm - Voted 10/10

Outstanding...

...work on the Central Wasatch page! Much better than I ever would have done - thanks for adopting the page, and taking on such a huge project!

mountaingazelle

mountaingazelle - May 17, 2006 6:41 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Outstanding...

Thanks, Joe. After the other Wasatch pages, this one was a lot easier to make since I knew what I was doing.

Dmitry Pruss

Dmitry Pruss - May 18, 2006 7:34 pm - Voted 10/10

Well done

except for a major injustice it does for ski mountaneering. Using trackhead's pictures to illustrate a chapter about the ski resorts?? I just hope he doesn't notice! Also Kelner-Hanscom's "Wasatch Touring" ought to be mentioned if backcountry skiing is mentioned at all.


.... really, in the table of contents "skiing areas" go right after "climbing areas". One might end up with an impression that these "areas" is, like, places where people ski, just like the climbing areas is where they climb. "Ski resorts" may be a more appropriate heading.

mountaingazelle

mountaingazelle - May 18, 2006 8:34 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Well done

Thanks, I'm all about injustice. I renamed it Ski Resorts and placed it near the bottom of the page. I also mentioned the book Wasatch Touring. Hope it is okay now.

Dmitry Pruss

Dmitry Pruss - May 18, 2006 9:29 pm - Voted 10/10

I already gave it 10 :)

so it was better than just OK. I just didn't want ski mountaneers such as gramps or trackhead to choke :)

kabernicola

kabernicola - Jun 7, 2007 1:18 pm - Voted 10/10

a 10

incredible page...lot of work and good information

mountaingazelle

mountaingazelle - Jun 8, 2007 12:48 am - Hasn't voted

Re: a 10

Thank you, for the nice comment! I'm glad you like the page.

MoapaPk

MoapaPk - Jan 23, 2008 11:41 pm - Voted 10/10

where do you find the time?

You must not sleep much! You put out so many detailed pages with great photos...

mountaingazelle

mountaingazelle - Jan 24, 2008 1:57 am - Hasn't voted

Re: where do you find the time?

Thanks for the nice compliment Moapa! Sleep...what’s that? It probably has something to do with me being an analytical mountain nerd. I know this area well so it was easy for me to write. Then I added more information to it later so now it’s a really big page. I can't take credit for the photos. They are from other Utah SPers who happen to be great photographers.

lingana

lingana - Jan 24, 2008 11:24 am - Hasn't voted

Amazing

...page on the Wasatch Range. Had been to SLC once, when a friend of mine drove me up to the Ski resort, owned by Dick Bass (I don't remember the name now). But, the drive, and the mountains and valleys were spectacular.
If I ever manage to get transferred there (through my company), I will be visiting this page much more frequently....
Thanks for the detailed information and photos...

Regards,
Samarth.

mountaingazelle

mountaingazelle - Jan 24, 2008 11:55 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Amazing

Thank you, Samarth. Many people visit SLC and they usually want to hike or climb in the nearby mountains. The resort that is owned by Dick Bass is Snowbird in Little Cottonwood Canyon. It is quite a spectacular area and only a short drive from the city. Thanks for the nice comment about my page.

lcarreau

lcarreau - Jan 25, 2008 4:50 pm - Voted 10/10

The Wasatch Range

is nothing short of spectacular! How does the saying go,
"The Greatest Snow on Earth!" I'm just adding that folks
should be made aware of the precautions to take when
climbing or skiing or hiking in "avalanche-prone" areas.
Please CLICK.

mountaingazelle

mountaingazelle - Jan 25, 2008 5:26 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: The Wasatch Range

Thanks. I would hope that anyone traveling in the backcountry of the Wasatch Mountains would have the knowledge and equipment to do so. I try to emphasize that in my Wasatch pages. There are accidents each year in these mountains from avalanches. It is something that Utah SPers know well since Joe and Brian were in their accident on the Pfeifferhorn. I try to be as careful as possible.

lcarreau

lcarreau - Jan 25, 2008 7:32 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: The Wasatch Range

Joe and Brian were involved in an accident on Pfeifferhorn?
Do you have a "link" you can give to me? I read about the
Sp accident on Mount Nebo, but didn't know about that one.
Are they okay now? I know there's some exposure on the
northeast side of the horn, and you hear about avalanches
occurring quite often. God-speed to Joe and Brian!

mountaingazelle

mountaingazelle - Jan 25, 2008 8:16 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: The Wasatch Range

Yes, it was also on the news. Here is the LINK. You can read about the details there. They both sustained injuries and survived. Joe was unconscious for about a week after the accident. He then went through extensive physical therapy. They are both doing better now and are out hiking and climbing in the mountains.

Nyle Walton

Nyle Walton - Jan 26, 2008 10:46 am - Hasn't voted

Admiration.

I wish to express my awe and appreciation of your comprehensive and exhaustive description of the Wasatch Mountains. I grew up in Salt Lake City and was climbing Olympus, Twin and Lone Peaks during the early 1950s when few were doing it and sober people wondered why I did it. I had to mail order an ice ax and leave Utah to climb the Grand Teton, Mount Rainier, Popocatepetl and the Matterhorn in order to find other people who seriously climbed mountains. Thank you to educating me more about that beautiful backdrop to Salt Lake City. Nyle Walton

mountaingazelle

mountaingazelle - Jan 26, 2008 9:27 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Admiration.

Thanks Nyle! I appreciate your nice compliment. I have lived near the Wasatch Mountains for a while and there are still many places left to explore and mountains and routes I want to climb. Even today you’ll find sober people in Utah who wonder anyone would want to climb in their local mountains. There really is no need to explain though since the answer in obvious. You have climbed a lot of incredible mountains. I’m glad that you enjoyed reading my Wasatch pages.

ganesh70

ganesh70 - Jan 26, 2008 3:24 pm - Voted 10/10

Impressive work

Very high quality pages for this beautiful area. Thank you for keeping the SP standards high!
Ciao!

mountaingazelle

mountaingazelle - Jan 26, 2008 9:29 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Impressive work

Thank you very much! This is an important mountain range where I live so I tried to make good pages for them. Your pages are very high quality too.

seanpeckham

seanpeckham - May 2, 2008 3:56 pm - Voted 10/10

Amazing job

I had already given it a very enthusiastic 10, and ran into the page again recently, and it appears you are keeping it updated and continually making it even better (which is saying a lot). Excellent selection of photos, and attention given to so many diverse ways to enjoy the area. I'd give it 10 more if I could. The only downside is you might attract more people here! ;)

Viewing: 1-20 of 42
Return to 'Wasatch Range (Central)' main page