Wedge Scramble

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 50.85000°N / 115.1333°W
Additional Information Route Type: Scrambling
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Moderate
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

This is a 3600’+/- ascent day. Proceed down to Wedge Pond and immediately head left into the woods following an animal trail or two to achieve a well worn trail next to a drainage (high volume running creek in June, 2004) that heads south. Continue straight for the northwest ridge.
Tooltip for IE: Gamskofel Tooltip for IE: Gamskofel Tooltip for IE: Gamskofel

Route Description

The northwest ridge runs right into the upper mountain. From here, simply pick a route staying close to the right skyline which dumps onto another laid back portion. There are several cairns and you easily top out on the northern point. Proceed southeast to the summit end of the relatively flat top. No serious crux on the ridge, but one should, as always, take caution traversing certain spots. Same for return.

There was a register in June, 2004. You gain a great vantage point of the Opal Ridge Traverse, which is on this web site and a highly recommended scramble objective. To the east you have good views of front range peaks and ridges. I enjoyed a multitude of wildflowers on the ridge including Rock Jasmine.

Essential Gear

Normal hiking paraphernalia, helmet, bear spray, gaiters and alpine ax for any remaining snow and helpful for the scree as well.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

The WedgeRoutes